nautilus-admin and admin:// - without permission to delete, rename and edit

same error

by command
admin:///etc
or
nautilus admin:///etc

I can't edit, rename, and delete files or folders. But I can create file and folders

1 Like

What error?

That issue was closed well over a year ago and fixed. I can't reproduce it. Are you running nautilus-admin 1.1.9-1 from the community repo?

I can't edit, rename, and delete files or folders using this nautilus-admin. But I can create file and folders

by command I can edit, rename and delete

pkexec nautilus folder

~ # pacman -Qs nautilus-admin
local/nautilus-admin 1.1.9-1
Ex

I'm not certain this is needed any more because of the new admin:/// location.

@Ste74 can you confirm whether we need nautilus-admin any more? Or does this just need a rebuild? (Sorry for the ping but you were last packager. :kissing_heart: )

@jonathon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
@swatquest sorry but you seem to request a new function for nautilus-admin..

according with this:

Nautilus Admin is a simple Python extension for the Nautilus file manager that adds some administrative actions to the right-click menu:

• Open as Administrator : opens a folder in a new Nautilus window running with administrator (root) privileges.
  • Edit as Administrator : opens a file in a Gedit window running with administrator (root) privileges.

this is what do nautilus-admin and for instance i assume you use xorg session with gnome because with wayland your command ( pkexec nautilus folder ) not work: no polkit rules for nautilus by default and for design

2 Likes

jonathon

by command
admin:///etc
or
nautilus admin:///etc

I can't edit, rename, and delete files or folders. But I can create file and folders

Ste74
pkexec to work has to create an action in polkit
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polkit

Yep i know :blush: but i think you don't see this

so is discouraged and not designed by upstream

Yeah, admin:// works on Wayland and Xorg
pkexec works on Xorg

but admin://

Try to move the files and folders to trash folder with drag and drop.

drag and drop, delete files or folders.
I can't rename.

I'll mark it as solved

It seems to be the default (gvfsd-admin).