Namib Linux is new and uses manjaro tools

With this topic users will know what risks they take if they install that distro. At least the risk of having a maintainer who is quite sloppy in some things. One can hope that they aren’t as sloppy in other things.

If the distro takes the criticism written here seriously and becomes a real competitor - I don’t think anybody has a problem with it.

That’s definitely a good point - bad press is better than no press.
But I think this discussion is more than just ranting around how bad this whole thing seems to be etc. - as far as I understood this whole thing, there is a massive copyright/licensing violation going on. If we could make the dev behind Namib Linux to correctly credit the Manjaro team for their work, I would have no problem with them.

Ok, lets forget the crypto thing. I took another look at the forum:

Instead of using ads, I am having you mine for crypto currency to support this site. It's disabled by default. Here are your stats:

You can start or stop at anytime but please wait for some accepted hashes before you do.

If you are using an adblocker it's will not working!.

Visit Coin Hive to learn more about how this works 

He’s really open about it, even states it is disabled by default. If I deactivate uBlock, a button appears with the label “Start Mining”. So, it’s just a way of financing the project, as legit as asking for donations IMO.

Fredric Knows or should know what he is doing after being a commentator for as many years as Linux. and has a good relationship with the Linux community. He could actually contribute to Arch and Manjaro in the long run.
Or is just having a bit of fun to wake Manjaro up as in the past he has praised the efforts of Manjaro. so really we should praise him and give him help not shun him.

I don’t think anyone here wants to shun Frédéric.
People were just rightfully sceptical about Namib, that’s all.

Well, it is not true about the old homepage.

However our never released preview of our Hugo project was used as their homepage design by simply modifying it: https://namib.meerkat.tk/. At some points they even had left some lines specific to Manjaro.

Hope this clarifies it a little.

Actually, with whatever promotion and advertising, that distro will never make it for me to even download it, not to mention install it or recommend it to someone. For me is as dead as Titanic. :wink:

This is supposed to be their repo: namibrepo
I can’t seem to access it.
They have a testing repo as well apparently.

Best regards.

I can’t believe a Canadian company is up to these shenanigans. Reflects rather poorly on us Canucks, eh Bubbles.

According to the mirrorlist it seems their repo is on github it self.

Are you sure it is Canadian?
According to this article:https://www.osradar.com/namib-linux-new-easier-approach-towards-arch/
“Namib Linux is developed and maintained by Meerkat Software based in Tokelau, New Zealand.”

Best regards.

Yes, you are right. Not a whole lot in their repo…re-named Manjaro tools mostly.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Best regards.

I’d blame it on Gnome.org every thing else is blamed on them Lol The developer is French Canadian I believe but not doing any harm trying to make Arch for Linux

Yes, Frédéric corrects it in the comments.

Then why Namib? He could name it Quebec or Charlotte.

So coin-hive.com is in VA, USA,
and *.meerkat.tk is in:
Domain name: MEERKAT.TK Organisation: BV Dot TK Dot TK administrator P.O. Box 11774 1001 GT Amsterdam Netherlands

Which doesn’t mean that Fred’s not operating in Canada, but still?

The key part:

Which means meerkat.tk isn’t owned by Frédéric, but simply used for free as offered by the .tk registry (which is something they’ve done for many years).

This also means it could disappear at pretty much any time, or be taken up by someone else, or… it’s not the best way to run a domain unless you have zero money.

Full whois information
$ whois meerkat.tk

Domain name:
      MEERKAT.TK

Organisation:
      BV Dot TK
      Dot TK administrator
      P.O. Box 11774
      1001 GT  Amsterdam
      Netherlands
      Phone: +31 20 5315725
      Fax: +31 20 5315721
      E-mail: abuse: abuse@freenom.com, copyright infringement: copyright@freenom.com

Domain Nameservers:
      MEERA.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
      RAY.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

Your selected domain name is a Free Domain. That means that,
   according to the terms and conditions of Free Domain domain names
   the registrant is BV Dot TK

Due to restrictions in Dot TK 's Privacy Statement personal information
   about the user of the domain name cannot be released.

ABUSE OF A DOMAIN NAME
   If you want to report abuse of this domain name, please send a
   detailed email with your complaint to abuse@freenom.com.
   In most cases Dot TK responds to abuse complaints within one business day.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
   If you want to report a case of copyright infringement, please send
   an email to copyright@freenom.com, and include the full name and address of
   your organization. Within 5 business days copyright infringement notices
   will be investigated.

Record maintained by: Dot TK Domain Registry

naa, there’s Arch, or OpenBSD, both originating from canada, which is world-respected, so no worries. :smiley:

ah ok, thx.

I’m very confused by all the mentions of Frederic Bezies as being somehow involved with Namib. I don’t read French so am going by a Google-translated version of his blog post, but it appears he’s just mentioning how right now Arch seems to be the trendy Linux base on which to make distro variants. Namib is mentioned as one of these, and his comments on it aren’t particularly positive.

Translated extracts:

The second project is the GNU / Linux Namib, which I learned from a video of Adrien Linuxtricks .

We are in a very recent project, which seems to be from the summer of 2017. On the project site , we note that for the moment the project has released only two ISO images.

If we look at the github of the project , we see that it is not very active, but it must be related to the privacy of the creator. After all, you can not be 100% of the time behind your project🙂

As you may have seen, the two projects - which I’m wondering what their life will be like - both offer a third-party repository, but make the mistake of not just pre-packaging recipes available on AUR.

If the project disappears and someone installs it, they can still use the distribution, but only part of it. What will ultimately be a facility that will explode in flight. Once again, the strength of free software which is to be able to forge the envy of software makes it a huge weakness

Sure doesn’t sound like he has anything to do with it.

How did this thread morph into a discussion as to whether he owns the meerkat.tk domain?