Namib Linux is new and uses manjaro tools

O really? When we started Manjaro, we financed ourselfs and never showed any ads to beginn with. When our distro was ready for the public we started to accept donations optional. It always depends on which reasons you base your project. Most people honour that and even valid that. It all leads down to sane project management.

@muvvenby: thx for your support mate.

Answered the exact question I was about to ask … *** twilight zone music ***

Sounds more like a crypto mining project masking itself as a linux distro to me.

Do not want.

I’m so happy that they even copied our hugo homepage project as their official homepage. I’m now simply lost for words … Especially for this page. When you do it, do it right! Here is our preview.

They use a script for coin-hive.com.

Wow, that doesn’t feel right to me. To me the power of open source has always been that you can work together, out in the open, and if need be, mostly as a last resort imho, code can be forked. But the basis is that you respect the work of (previous) contributors and give them their dues.

I think the words you are looking for is Crypto Mining.

This is not a serious attempt at an OS, they are clumsily cloning the current top distro on Distrowatch to attempt to utilize “user” hardware and make some money mining.

I see a very short life for this “project” … Sadly it reminds me of some conartists

@philm
Kirek and Roland are part of the project?
If no… does they have the right to change the email author of msn code like they did?

Looks like they did a “search and replace” over the code and that’s very likely a breach of the license. You can’t claim ownership of code that isn’t yours.

So - has the Manjaro project reached the point that we need to reach out to some legal people to help with this sort of thing?

Something doesn’t “seem right” about Namib Linux…just from reading up on it.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Best regards.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m the author of the article and I’ve contacted my editor at Linux.com to find out what she wants to do with this piece.

This issue brings up something that hits very close to home for me. As I review a LOT of Linux distributions, I have to wonder if something like this is going to become more prevalent. If that’s the case, what do we do? Are there specific tools people like me (tech writers…not developers) can use to ensure a distribution is safe from such malicious behaviors?

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. And than you for any input you might have.

Have a wonderful day.

Jack

it’s also on the waiting list for distrowatch

I’m going to be doing a piece about this in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any hard proof that Namib Linux is using the distro for crypto mining? If you do have proof, can you show it in this thread please?

Thank yo so much.

Jack

The evidence is on their forum. There is as-of-yet no proof of them using it in the installed system.

Instead of using ads, I am having you mine for crypto currency to support this site

Someone who does that can’t be trusted not to fiddle in other ways with the code. Highly dodgy.

We are NOT part of this. This was done with some stupid sed-magic. That’s why I marked it as “quality code:wink:

At least the forum uses crypto mining. However they use the same wording as we used for our preview homepage on security, which you had reflected in your review. Do you see any difference? original - copy

the Colors and Icons are differents. :wink:
and the about page is also the same.

I’d like to think it’s naïve rather than dodgy. For example, all of their domain and email addresses are pointing to namib.org which is (as of writing) a SEDO parking page. It’s more like someone has decided to try running their own distro but haven’t quite understood everything that’s involved with it.

Quality journalists try to contact the people or organisations they mention in their articles. This is sometimes too difficult for review writers. Often a notice is enough to get some serious and relevant comments.

Crypto-mining in the web page isn’t the same as crypto-mining from the distro. Someone should install and test this thing. That’s the only way you’re gonna find out. There are plenty of tools to watch both CPU usage, processes and the network stack.