MystiQ is a GUI for FFmpeg, a powerful media converter.

The SparkyLinux team frequently introduces and highlights new packages the distribution's may find useful. The project's latest new utility is MystiQ, a desktop frontend for converting media files. "MystiQ is a GUI for FFmpeg, a powerful media converter. FFmpeg can read audio and video files in various formats and convert them into other formats. MystiQ features an intuitive graphical interface and a rich set of presets to help you convert media files within a few clicks. Advanced users can also adjust conversion parameters in detail." Further details can be found in the distribution's blog post.
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=showheadline&story=10084

MystiQ is available from AUR. I'm gonna check it out for sure!

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip, @eugen-b. :wink: :beer:

I've just installed it from the AUR, and it built okay. I haven't had the chance to convert anything just yet ─ it's after midnight here now and I'm going to bed in a few minutes ─ but it looks neat. It's Qt-based, which makes it integrate well with KDE Plasma. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here's a screenie... :wink:

1 Like

Looks a bit disappointing, no customizations of ffmpeg commands. Not a replacement for WinFF.

1 Like

I am still using handbrake, even though it's gtk based....

4 Likes

Well, there are some options if you access the menu, which in my Plasma setup is in the Global Menu widget of the upper panel. :thinking:

1 Like

Oh, then I might be wrong. Will compile it now.

2 Likes

It looks like a fine converter, but I'll prefer Handbrake. Did try a few video's and I have to say, that it doesn't work that easy for me. It is of course personal taste.

2 Likes

As it just so happens to be, someone at the PCLinuxOS Forum also just discovered MystiQ and gave his first impressions in this post. (He's not a native English speaker, though.) :arrow_lower_left:

Tested and i find it as conception idea very good, but 

You can't go wrong, the conversion setting options are versatile and self-explanatory, and the application guides the user step by step through the setting options.

It can also cut out sequences and is stable and more. However, I couldn't figure out how, probably the developer should continue to work on the cutting tool. And it can't cut anything out at the beginning of the video yet.

It almost comes close to Avidemux with the options, but easier and faster to set.

But it doesn't seem to be finished yet, the scaling title is shown in bold, but no setting options are visible.

As a pure converter tool for video and also only for audio I find it good with the easy options selection. The black bars at the top and bottom can be cut away. The width and height are well automatically recognized.

But for more complex editing, Avidemux, Openshot, Flowblade etc. are still the best.

And compared to Curlew, MystiQ can add mkv to the task list and also convert it, e.g. to mp4, but with the options Curlew is much more mature and powerful because it can split or merge files, cut etc.

But Curlew has difficulty finding the aac_enc codec ( only aac it can find ) and the preview only works with the simple file format names in the list, e.g. only " mp4 video " or " mpeg2 video " or avi. For " mp4 HQ widescreen " the preview in Curlew fails.

Well, you can't have everything...  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2 Likes

In design it reminds me of qwinff (of which it is the continuation), but with more options including the option to edit the CLI ffmpeg command which was set through GUI.

You can install it from a custom repo on Arch based systems according to the project website:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by