My virtual machine doesn't start anymore

Hi, after last Manjaro system update, my virtual machine (Qemu/KVM and Virtual Machine Manager) doesn’t start anymore; here’s the message of error:

“Errore nell’avvio del dominio: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2022-03-15T06:43:12.573758Z qemu-system-x86_64: -blockdev {“driver”:“file”,“filename”:”/home/attila23/Virtual Machines/Win10_21H2_Italian_x64.iso",“node-name”:“libvirt-2-storage”,“auto-read-only”:true,“discard”:“unmap”}: Could not open ‘/home/attila23/Virtual Machines/Win10_21H2_Italian_x64.iso’: Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 72, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 108, in tmpcb
callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py”, line 57, in newfn
ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py”, line 1384, in startup
self._backend.create()
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 1353, in create
raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreate() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2022-03-15T06:43:12.573758Z qemu-system-x86_64: -blockdev {“driver”:“file”,“filename”:"/home/attila23/Virtual Machines/Win10_21H2_Italian_x64.iso",“node-name”:“libvirt-2-storage”,“auto-read-only”:true,“discard”:“unmap”}: Could not open ‘/home/attila23/Virtual Machines/Win10_21H2_Italian_x64.iso’: Permission denied"

What can I do?
Thank you very much for the help.
Attilio.

Hello,

Permission denied in your home directory is a sign of ownership issues … probably you started, at some point, your VM with sudo … don’t do that! Fix the ownership on your home directory.

1 Like

Thank you very much, can you tell me how to do it?
I never started my VM with sudo, never started it via terminal, I don’t know how this was possible.

Tos fix permissions of your user in your home directory, some like this

But according to

I found this discussion

Might want to recheck the configs for the VM.

1 Like
1 Like

im having the same issue after latest stable update. my home dir is owned by my user kinghat:kinghat. its for a manjaro vm.

edit:
used these to solve it:

which is basically method one from this article:

1 Like

Thank you very much, kinghat!
I solved it but it was the second method for me.
Very grateful to you!
Attilio.

I have exactly the same issue and it was working just before the upgrade, so the upgrade something change from something which as “norm” before.
Example for myself. Default installation of Virtual machine manager (I was already using vmware or virtualbox) because I don’t know about virt/qemu and image file in a directory inside home directory. owner of this me, and the file was readable/writeable only by nobody because this is how before was working. So… ?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.