My system regularly breaks down

Hello,

I’ve been using Manjaro XFCE for a while now, although I’m not a very experienced user. I have a problem that I need help with.

My system regularly breaks down, even though I’m not doing anything. I use XFCE mostly for gaming, I don’t think I use any software or anything else to cause it to break. Sometimes it runs clean for 3-4 weeks. But then it breaks. Files get deleted, the system won’t boot, etc. And I have to reinstall the system because I don’t know how to fix the problem. It also regularly asks me to do a manual fsck when booting. I update the system and it breaks. I don’t update and it breaks again. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what could be the problem?

1. It can be just that the root partition is full, and an upgrade does not succeed properly.
  2. or your hard drive has physical damages.
  3. or you unplug the power cord to shut down the PC. (I hope not :clown_face: )

About point 2:

1. Check which drive it is:
lsblk --fs
  1. Check the smart data:
pamac install smartmontools
smartctl -a /dev/sda

:notebook: Replace /dev/sda with the correct drive if different.

Or install gsmartcontrol :point_down:

2 Likes

Sounds like your hardware is failing. Check the health status of your disk with tools like GSmartControl or other tool to check the SMART status of the disk. Files don’t get deleted by themselves. System doesn’t break by itself.

4 Likes

Warning signs - something need service - if your car begin to make unusual sounds or generally misbehave - you consult a mechanic - you should consult your local computer mechanic.

Disk is worn and could be due for replacement.

That has nothing to do with Manjaro as OS - you would have the same issues with any other system.

3 Likes

What does “breaks down” mean? :person_shrugging:

Any messages in $HOME/.xsession-errors…

Any messages in the journal that may indicate a problem…

If it is storage/hardware, there would be I/O errors specifying the device, etc.

Try one of the below to view the journal (syslog):

# -b: most recent boot (same as -b0), -r:  reverse, most current at top
# Uses `less` pager. Use arrows to scroll up and down. 'q' to quit.
#
journalctl -b -r 

# -p: priorty includes emerg" (0), "alert" (1), "crit" (2), "err" (3)
#
journalctl -b  -p3

# -g: grep (search/filter) by pattern
#
journalctl -b -g 'i/o'

# -f: follow the journal (see messages as they are written). 'ctrl-c to exit'
# Open a terminal and run the command below. Go about your usual activities and 
#  and keep an eye on the  terminal for messages that may indicate a problem.
#
journalctl -f

Any failed services:

systemctl  --failed

There are a number of entries for “run fsck manually

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please see:

Thank you for your answers.

I booted up my system to try your suggestions, only to be greeted by another problem… :smiley:

I log in, the screen goes black for a second, then sends me back to the login screen.