My Manjaro won't boot anymore and I get this message: error file /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 not found

Ok, I have made a live USB with Manjaro on it, and this is the only Terminal that I could get from there. Is this correct, or am I not allowed to boot into Manjaro from the live USB and use the terminal there (in the Desktop environment which I get there)?

From there you’ll have to enter a chroot environment using the terminal emulator you’ve got open there.

To enter a chroot environment:

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel. You seem to have this done.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive. And this.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment. And this.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

Once that’s done, you’ll have to sync the system again. I recommend pamac:

pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel

Hope this helps!

Thanks man, but I’ve now got the problem that “manjaro-chroot -a” mounts into the wrong directories. It goes to my second SSD, instead of my main SSD wherr my linux system is installed. Do you happen to know how I can go into the right SSD?

Reboot into the live environment again, and try without the -a argument:

manjaro-chroot

Then it shouldn’t try everything automatically.

Alternatively, try shutting down and disconnecting the drive that shouldn’t be used.

Hmm ok then, well if I do ‘manjaro-chroot’ then this is output I get:

I believe that bit with the drive will be a bit more tricky though…
I have both Windows and Manjaro on my computer, and I split them 60/40 on my first main drive (SSD), and recently installed a second SSD, internally, so I can’t detach that from my PC… So that’s the reason why my chroot doesn’t automount to the correct place. I looked it up using 'sudo fdisk -l" though and I believe my manjaro system is installed on /dev/sdb7.

Open Firefox there and use that to browse here.

Using that, provide the output of:

lslk -f

and

fdisk -l

…please.

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as descrribed above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Please edit your post accordingly.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

to auto detect available linux systems

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

to mount beforehand

sudo mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Ok, so I am now on Firefox on my PC,
For some reason my keyboard is also messed up here so Im having a hard time finding the right symbols

I believe you meant lsblk -f
The output I got was this:

loop0  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda                                                                                                   
└─sda1 ext4     1.0              Drive2           26bfa3a1-e941-4fc6-9e01-3a03d4bcc8df                
sdb                                                                                                   
├─sdb1 vfat     FAT32                             AABF-6DE8                                           
├─sdb2                                                                                                
├─sdb3 ntfs                                       94C8C3A1C8C37FCA                                    
├─sdb4 vfat     FAT32            NO_LABEL         62C3-86D9                                           
├─sdb5 ntfs                                       DAD0296DD02950D5                                    
├─sdb6 swap     1                                 6dcc9433-d7d9-4ce1-9d22-a9b3eca3f37e                
└─sdb7 ext4     1.0                               e922c39e-8f14-486b-a56b-275138ba6a85                
sdc    iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2137 2022-08-16-12-52-10-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
├─sdc1 iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2137 2022-08-16-12-52-10-00                              
└─sdc2 vfat     FAT12            MISO_EFI         C80E-8B3F                                           

And for fdisk -l I got this:

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop0: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop1: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop2: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop3: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied

Oh and thanks for the tips, I am a native english speaker, you mess up the sentences on your phone sometimes though…

An ISO boot menu provides option to select language and keyboard before booting the live system.

Ah ok, I think I’m starting to remember now. Didn’t quite realize that, well now I must’ve automatically received an International/American keyboard or something which isn’t syncing up with my current keyboard. But oh well

Ok, well I typed the pamac command you suggested to me earlier, and this is how it looks like in my terminal:

sh-5.1# pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel
Warning: Building packages as dynamic user
Warning: Setting build directory to /var/cache/pamac
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
unable to lock database
Failed to synchronize databases
https://aur.manjaro.org/packages-meta-ext-v1.json.gz: Unacceptable TLS certificate
Failed to synchronize AUR database
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: rubygems will be installed before its ruby dependency
Warning: ruby-stdlib will be installed before its ruby dependency
Warning: ruby-bundledgems will be installed before its ruby dependency

To upgrade (77):
  linux60-nvidia                      520.56.06-13           (520.56.06-9)          extra      
  make                                4.3-5                  (4.3-3)                core       
  manjaro-release                     22.0.0rc-1             (22.0.0pre3-1)         core       
  manjaro-settings-manager            0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-kcm        0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier  0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  memtest86+                          6.00-2                 (6.00-1)               extra      
  opusfile                            0.12-3                 (0.12-2)               community  
  qt5-script                          5.15.11-2              (5.15.11-1)            extra      
  mixxx                               2.3.3-3                (2.3.3-2)              community  
  mobile-broadband-provider-info      20221107-1             (20220725-1)           extra      
  ntfs-3g                             2022.10.3-1            (2022.5.17-1)          extra      
  ntp                                 4.2.8.p15-2            (4.2.8.p15-1)          extra      
  okular                              22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pkcs11-helper                       1.29.0-2               (1.29.0-1)             extra      
  openvpn                             2.5.8-2                (2.5.7-1)              extra      
  opera                               92.0.4561.43-1         (92.0.4561.33-1)       community  
  oxygen                              5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  packagekit                          1.2.5-2                (1.2.5-1)              community  
  pamac-cli                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  pamac-gtk                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  partitionmanager                    22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  plasma-browser-integration          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  polkit-kde-agent                    5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-desktop                      5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  ppp                                 2.4.9-3                (2.4.9-2)              core       
  wpa_supplicant                      2:2.10-7               (2:2.10-5)             core       
  plasma-nm                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  pulseaudio                          16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  plasma-pa                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-systemmonitor                5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-workspace-wallpapers         5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  powerdevil                          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  print-manager                       22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pulseaudio-bluetooth                16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-jack                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-lirc                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-rtp                      16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-zeroconf                 16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  python-cryptography                 38.0.3-1               (38.0.1-1)             extra      
  python-cssselect                    1.2.0-1                (1.1.0-9)              extra      
  python-dnspython                    1:2.2.1-2              (1:2.2.1-1)            community  
  python-wheel                        0.38.2-1               (0.37.1-1)             community  
  python-pip                          22.3.1-1               (22.3-1)               extra      
  python-platformdirs                 2.5.3-1                (2.5.2-1)              extra      
  python-pycurl                       7.45.1-2               (7.45.1-1)             extra      
  python-pyqt5                        5.15.7-3               (5.15.7-2)             extra      
  python-reportlab                    3.6.12-1               (3.6.11-1)             community  
  qt6-base                            6.4.0-3                (6.4.0-2)              extra      
  qbittorrent                         4.4.5-2                (4.4.5-1)              community  
  qt5-imageformats                    5.15.7+kde+r5-1        (5.15.6+kde+r5-1)      extra      
  qt5-virtualkeyboard                 5.15.7-1               (5.15.6+kde+r1-1)      extra      
  qt5-webkit                          5.212.0alpha4-18       (5.212.0alpha4-17)     extra      
  rsync                               3.2.7-2                (3.2.7-1)              extra      
  rubygems                            3.3.25-1               (3.3.23-1)             community  
  ruby-stdlib                         3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby-bundledgems                    3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby                                3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  s-nail                              14.9.24-2              (14.9.24-1)            core       
  sddm-kcm                            5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  sdl12-compat                        1.2.60-1               (1.2.56-1)             community  
  webkit2gtk                          2.38.2-1               (2.38.1-1)             extra      
  shotwell                            2:0.30.17-2            (2:0.30.16-2)          community  
  skanlite                            22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectacle                           22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectre-meltdown-checker            0.45+1+gb68ebe6-1      (0.45-1)               community  
  splix                               2.0.0-18               (2.0.0-16)             community  
  sudo                                1.9.12.p1-1            (1.9.12-1)             core       
  systemd-sysvcompat                  251.8-1                (251.7-1)              core       
  telegram-desktop                    4.3.1-2                (4.2.4-1)              community  
  thunderbird                         102.5.0-1              (102.4.1-1)            extra      
  timeshift                           22.06.5+12+g92ad80c-2  (22.06.5-3)            community  
  usbutils                            015-1                  (014-2)                core       
  vpnc                                1:0.5.3.r506.r204-2    (1:0.5.3.r506.r204-1)  extra      
  xf86-input-void                     1.4.2-1                (1.4.1-6)              extra      
  xmlsec                              1.2.36-2               (1.2.36-1)             extra      
  yakuake                             22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
To install (3):
  libsigc++-3.0                       3.2.0-1                                       extra      
  glibmm-2.68                         2.74.0-1                                      extra      
  openssl-1.1                         1.1.1.s-2                                     core       

Total installed size: 9.6 MB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] 

Hope this isn’t too big for the post…

Well, I’m not. But I do believe my English is better than most people’s.

And as for:

My apologies, it should have been:

sudo fdisk -l

That won’t help if it’s not run from inside the chroot environment.

Oh, I thought I was inside of the chroot environment…
I typed these two commands, as I saw them suggested by @linux-aarhus:

sudo mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt                                                                                                                127 ✘ 
 ls                                                                                                                                           ✔ 
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
 sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt 

I am confused though, I saw programs among the updates which were definitely only installed on the manjaro desktop that I’m trying to repair right now… So was that not correct?

I must be going to work now though, so I’ll be checking this forum again in a few hours, 'til then everybody…

Ok, so I did the following things now:

sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb7 /mnt
sudo chroot /mnt

Now I’m in a chroot environment, and the text before I input a command is red and reads this:

[manjaro /]#

Then, I tried the command

pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel

which lead to these results:

** (pamac:11252): WARNING **: 03:12:58.857: flatpak_plugin.vala:257: While opening repository /var/lib/flatpak/repo: opening repo: Failed to open file “/proc/sys/kernel/random/boot_id”: No such file or directory
Warning: Building packages as dynamic user
Warning: Setting build directory to /var/cache/pamac
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
unable to lock database
Failed to synchronize databases
Refreshing AUR...                                                                                             
Warning: rubygems will be installed before its ruby dependency

To upgrade (77):
  linux60-nvidia                      520.56.06-13           (520.56.06-9)          extra      
  make                                4.3-5                  (4.3-3)                core       
  manjaro-release                     22.0.0rc-1             (22.0.0pre3-1)         core       
  manjaro-settings-manager            0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-kcm        0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier  0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  memtest86+                          6.00-2                 (6.00-1)               extra      
  opusfile                            0.12-3                 (0.12-2)               community  
  qt5-script                          5.15.11-2              (5.15.11-1)            extra      
  mixxx                               2.3.3-3                (2.3.3-2)              community  
  mobile-broadband-provider-info      20221107-1             (20220725-1)           extra      
  ntfs-3g                             2022.10.3-1            (2022.5.17-1)          extra      
  ntp                                 4.2.8.p15-2            (4.2.8.p15-1)          extra      
  okular                              22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pkcs11-helper                       1.29.0-2               (1.29.0-1)             extra      
  openvpn                             2.5.8-2                (2.5.7-1)              extra      
  opera                               92.0.4561.43-1         (92.0.4561.33-1)       community  
  oxygen                              5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  packagekit                          1.2.5-2                (1.2.5-1)              community  
  pamac-cli                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  pamac-gtk                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  partitionmanager                    22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  plasma-browser-integration          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  polkit-kde-agent                    5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-desktop                      5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  ppp                                 2.4.9-3                (2.4.9-2)              core       
  wpa_supplicant                      2:2.10-7               (2:2.10-5)             core       
  plasma-nm                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  pulseaudio                          16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  plasma-pa                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-systemmonitor                5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-workspace-wallpapers         5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  powerdevil                          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  print-manager                       22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pulseaudio-bluetooth                16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-jack                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-lirc                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-rtp                      16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-zeroconf                 16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  python-cryptography                 38.0.3-1               (38.0.1-1)             extra      
  python-cssselect                    1.2.0-1                (1.1.0-9)              extra      
  python-dnspython                    1:2.2.1-2              (1:2.2.1-1)            community  
  python-wheel                        0.38.2-1               (0.37.1-1)             community  
  python-pip                          22.3.1-1               (22.3-1)               extra      
  python-platformdirs                 2.5.3-1                (2.5.2-1)              extra      
  python-pycurl                       7.45.1-2               (7.45.1-1)             extra      
  python-pyqt5                        5.15.7-3               (5.15.7-2)             extra      
  python-reportlab                    3.6.12-1               (3.6.11-1)             community  
  qt6-base                            6.4.0-3                (6.4.0-2)              extra      
  qbittorrent                         4.4.5-2                (4.4.5-1)              community  
  qt5-imageformats                    5.15.7+kde+r5-1        (5.15.6+kde+r5-1)      extra      
  qt5-virtualkeyboard                 5.15.7-1               (5.15.6+kde+r1-1)      extra      
  qt5-webkit                          5.212.0alpha4-18       (5.212.0alpha4-17)     extra      
  rsync                               3.2.7-2                (3.2.7-1)              extra      
  rubygems                            3.3.25-1               (3.3.23-1)             community  
  ruby-stdlib                         3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby-bundledgems                    3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby                                3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  s-nail                              14.9.24-2              (14.9.24-1)            core       
  sddm-kcm                            5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  sdl12-compat                        1.2.60-1               (1.2.56-1)             community  
  webkit2gtk                          2.38.2-1               (2.38.1-1)             extra      
  shotwell                            2:0.30.17-2            (2:0.30.16-2)          community  
  skanlite                            22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectacle                           22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectre-meltdown-checker            0.45+1+gb68ebe6-1      (0.45-1)               community  
  splix                               2.0.0-18               (2.0.0-16)             community  
  sudo                                1.9.12.p1-1            (1.9.12-1)             core       
  systemd-sysvcompat                  251.8-1                (251.7-1)              core       
  telegram-desktop                    4.3.1-2                (4.2.4-1)              community  
  thunderbird                         102.5.0-1              (102.4.1-1)            extra      
  timeshift                           22.06.5+12+g92ad80c-2  (22.06.5-3)            community  
  usbutils                            015-1                  (014-2)                core       
  vpnc                                1:0.5.3.r506.r204-2    (1:0.5.3.r506.r204-1)  extra      
  xf86-input-void                     1.4.2-1                (1.4.1-6)              extra      
  xmlsec                              1.2.36-2               (1.2.36-1)             extra      
  yakuake                             22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
To install (3):
  libsigc++-3.0                       3.2.0-1                                       extra      
  glibmm-2.68                         2.74.0-1                                      extra      
  openssl-1.1                         1.1.1.s-2                                     core       

Total installed size: 9.6 MB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] y 
Checking keyring...                                                                                                                                  [80/80]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                                [80/80]
Loading packages files...                                                                                                                            [80/80]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                                           [80/80]
Warning: openssl-1.1: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1 already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1.old
Warning: openssl-1.1: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1 already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1.old
Checking keyring...                                                                                                                                  [80/80]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                                [80/80]
Loading packages files...                                                                                                                            [80/80]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                                           [80/80]
Error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
Error: could not determine filesystem mount points
Error: not enough free disk space
Error: Failed to commit transaction

Then, I tried the commands

pacman -Syy

followed by

pacman -Syu

And again, they lead to the same screen telling me

error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
error: could not determine filesystem mount points
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

So, what do I do next?

What more explanation do you need?

What? My storage is not full, it was not full before I had these problems. Something is obviously wrong here, I have a 1 TB SSD…

Ok, great news everybody!!!
I believe I have FINALLY fixed my system!
I’m going to post how I did it, and then what I did here so we can end the thread with a good solution.
Then I will leave the live USB, boot my Manjaro, and see if everything is still working.

So, first I did

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

It turns out this was the right command the whole time. When I do it, this is the result it gives me:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sdb7]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> mount: [/mnt/home/sam/Sams2ndDrive]

As you can see at the bottom, it seems to mount my “Sams2ndDrive”, which is my newly installed 2nd 1TB SSD, which I mounted at my main SSD’s home folder. Clearly what happened here was, that it mounted my home folder, as well as some other things here too. It turns out though, as you can see the [/dev/sdb7] at the top, that everything is fine.

Then after that, I did this (I will simply post the remaining terminal output now):

[manjaro /]# ls
bin   desktopfs-pkgs.txt  etc   lib    lost+found  opt   root             run   srv  tmp  var
boot  dev                 home  lib64  mnt         proc  rootfs-pkgs.txt  sbin  sys  usr
[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -Sy linux-latest
sudo: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -Syy
sudo: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -Sy
[manjaro /]# cd home
[manjaro home]# ls
sam
[manjaro home]# cd sam
[manjaro sam]# ..
bash: ..: command not found
[manjaro sam]# /.. 
bash: /..: Is a directory
[manjaro sam]# cd ..
[manjaro home]# cd ..
[manjaro /]# pacman -Syy 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                  167.1 KiB  81.9 KiB/s 00:02 [####################################] 100%
 extra                                1879.1 KiB  2.00 MiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
 community                               7.5 MiB  3.62 MiB/s 00:02 [####################################] 100%
 multilib                              171.0 KiB   788 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
[manjaro /]# pacman -Syu
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: rubygems will be installed before its ruby dependency
warning: ruby-stdlib will be installed before its ruby dependency
warning: ruby-bundledgems will be installed before its ruby dependency

Packages (80) glibmm-2.68-2.74.0-1  libsigc++-3.0-3.2.0-1  linux60-nvidia-520.56.06-13  make-4.3-5
              manjaro-release-22.0.0rc-1  manjaro-settings-manager-0.5.7-12
              manjaro-settings-manager-kcm-0.5.7-12  manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier-0.5.7-12
              memtest86+-6.00-2  mixxx-2.3.3-3  mobile-broadband-provider-info-20221107-1
              ntfs-3g-2022.10.3-1  ntp-4.2.8.p15-2  okular-22.08.3-1  openssl-1.1-1.1.1.s-2  openvpn-2.5.8-2
              opera-92.0.4561.43-1  opusfile-0.12-3  oxygen-5.26.3-1  packagekit-1.2.5-2  pamac-cli-10.4.3-1
              pamac-gtk-10.4.3-1  partitionmanager-22.08.3-1  pkcs11-helper-1.29.0-2
              plasma-browser-integration-5.26.3-1  plasma-desktop-5.26.3-1  plasma-nm-5.26.3-1
              plasma-pa-5.26.3-1  plasma-systemmonitor-5.26.3-1  plasma-workspace-wallpapers-5.26.3-1
              polkit-kde-agent-5.26.3-1  powerdevil-5.26.3-1  ppp-2.4.9-3  print-manager-22.08.3-1
              pulseaudio-16.1-3  pulseaudio-bluetooth-16.1-3  pulseaudio-jack-16.1-3  pulseaudio-lirc-16.1-3
              pulseaudio-rtp-16.1-3  pulseaudio-zeroconf-16.1-3  python-cryptography-38.0.3-1
              python-cssselect-1.2.0-1  python-dnspython-1:2.2.1-2  python-pip-22.3.1-1
              python-platformdirs-2.5.3-1  python-pycurl-7.45.1-2  python-pyqt5-5.15.7-3
              python-reportlab-3.6.12-1  python-wheel-0.38.2-1  qbittorrent-4.4.5-2
              qt5-imageformats-5.15.7+kde+r5-1  qt5-script-5.15.11-2  qt5-virtualkeyboard-5.15.7-1
              qt5-webkit-5.212.0alpha4-18  qt6-base-6.4.0-3  rsync-3.2.7-2  ruby-3.0.4-20
              ruby-bundledgems-3.0.4-20  ruby-stdlib-3.0.4-20  rubygems-3.3.25-1  s-nail-14.9.24-2
              sddm-kcm-5.26.3-1  sdl12-compat-1.2.60-1  shotwell-2:0.30.17-2  skanlite-22.08.3-1
              spectacle-22.08.3-1  spectre-meltdown-checker-0.45+1+gb68ebe6-1  splix-2.0.0-18
              sudo-1.9.12.p1-1  systemd-sysvcompat-251.8-1  telegram-desktop-4.3.1-2  thunderbird-102.5.0-1
              timeshift-22.06.5+12+g92ad80c-2  usbutils-015-1  vpnc-1:0.5.3.r506.r204-2  webkit2gtk-2.38.2-1
              wpa_supplicant-2:2.10-7  xf86-input-void-1.4.2-1  xmlsec-1.2.36-2  yakuake-22.08.3-1

Total Installed Size:  1201.42 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:         9.14 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(80/80) checking keys in keyring                                   [####################################] 100%
(80/80) checking package integrity                                 [####################################] 100%
(80/80) loading package files                                      [####################################] 100%
(80/80) checking for file conflicts                                [####################################] 100%
(80/80) checking available disk space                              [####################################] 100%
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/thunderbird/distribution/distribution.ini
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
(2/3) Save Linux kernel modules
(3/3) Remove Thunderbird Distribution Settings
:: Processing package changes...
( 1/80) upgrading linux60-nvidia                                   [####################################] 100%
( 2/80) upgrading make                                             [####################################] 100%
( 3/80) upgrading manjaro-release                                  [####################################] 100%
( 4/80) upgrading manjaro-settings-manager                         [####################################] 100%
( 5/80) upgrading manjaro-settings-manager-kcm                     [####################################] 100%
( 6/80) upgrading manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier               [####################################] 100%
( 7/80) upgrading memtest86+                                       [####################################] 100%
( 8/80) upgrading opusfile                                         [####################################] 100%
( 9/80) upgrading qt5-script                                       [####################################] 100%
(10/80) upgrading mixxx                                            [####################################] 100%
(11/80) upgrading mobile-broadband-provider-info                   [####################################] 100%
(12/80) upgrading ntfs-3g                                          [####################################] 100%
(13/80) upgrading ntp                                              [####################################] 100%
(14/80) upgrading okular                                           [####################################] 100%
(15/80) upgrading pkcs11-helper                                    [####################################] 100%
(16/80) upgrading openvpn                                          [####################################] 100%
(17/80) upgrading opera                                            [####################################] 100%
(18/80) upgrading oxygen                                           [####################################] 100%
(19/80) upgrading packagekit                                       [####################################] 100%
(20/80) upgrading pamac-cli                                        [####################################] 100%
(21/80) upgrading pamac-gtk                                        [####################################] 100%
(22/80) upgrading partitionmanager                                 [####################################] 100%
(23/80) upgrading plasma-browser-integration                       [####################################] 100%
(24/80) upgrading polkit-kde-agent                                 [####################################] 100%
(25/80) upgrading plasma-desktop                                   [####################################] 100%
(26/80) upgrading ppp                                              [####################################] 100%
(27/80) upgrading wpa_supplicant                                   [####################################] 100%
(28/80) upgrading plasma-nm                                        [####################################] 100%
(29/80) upgrading pulseaudio                                       [####################################] 100%
(30/80) upgrading plasma-pa                                        [####################################] 100%
(31/80) upgrading plasma-systemmonitor                             [####################################] 100%
(32/80) upgrading plasma-workspace-wallpapers                      [####################################] 100%
(33/80) upgrading powerdevil                                       [####################################] 100%
(34/80) upgrading print-manager                                    [####################################] 100%
(35/80) upgrading pulseaudio-bluetooth                             [####################################] 100%
(36/80) upgrading pulseaudio-jack                                  [####################################] 100%
(37/80) upgrading pulseaudio-lirc                                  [####################################] 100%
(38/80) upgrading pulseaudio-rtp                                   [####################################] 100%
(39/80) upgrading pulseaudio-zeroconf                              [####################################] 100%
(40/80) upgrading python-cryptography                              [####################################] 100%
(41/80) upgrading python-cssselect                                 [####################################] 100%
(42/80) upgrading python-dnspython                                 [####################################] 100%
(43/80) upgrading python-wheel                                     [####################################] 100%
(44/80) upgrading python-pip                                       [####################################] 100%
(45/80) upgrading python-platformdirs                              [####################################] 100%
(46/80) upgrading python-pycurl                                    [####################################] 100%
(47/80) upgrading python-pyqt5                                     [####################################] 100%
New optional dependencies for python-pyqt5
    qt5-location: QtLocation, QtPositioning [installed]
    qt5-sensors: QtSensors [installed]
    qt5-webchannel: QtWebChannel [installed]
(48/80) upgrading python-reportlab                                 [####################################] 100%
(49/80) upgrading qt6-base                                         [####################################] 100%
(50/80) upgrading qbittorrent                                      [####################################] 100%
(51/80) upgrading qt5-imageformats                                 [####################################] 100%
(52/80) upgrading qt5-virtualkeyboard                              [####################################] 100%
(53/80) upgrading qt5-webkit                                       [####################################] 100%
(54/80) upgrading rsync                                            [####################################] 100%
(55/80) upgrading rubygems                                         [####################################] 100%
(56/80) upgrading ruby-stdlib                                      [####################################] 100%
(57/80) upgrading ruby-bundledgems                                 [####################################] 100%
(58/80) upgrading ruby                                             [####################################] 100%
(59/80) upgrading s-nail                                           [####################################] 100%
(60/80) upgrading sddm-kcm                                         [####################################] 100%
(61/80) upgrading sdl12-compat                                     [####################################] 100%
(62/80) upgrading webkit2gtk                                       [####################################] 100%
(63/80) upgrading shotwell                                         [####################################] 100%
(64/80) upgrading skanlite                                         [####################################] 100%
(65/80) upgrading spectacle                                        [####################################] 100%
(66/80) upgrading spectre-meltdown-checker                         [####################################] 100%
(67/80) upgrading splix                                            [####################################] 100%
(68/80) upgrading sudo                                             [####################################] 100%
(69/80) upgrading systemd-sysvcompat                               [####################################] 100%
(70/80) installing libsigc++-3.0                                   [####################################] 100%
(71/80) installing glibmm-2.68                                     [####################################] 100%
(72/80) installing openssl-1.1                                     [####################################] 100%
(73/80) upgrading telegram-desktop                                 [####################################] 100%
(74/80) upgrading thunderbird                                      [####################################] 100%
(75/80) upgrading timeshift                                        [####################################] 100%
(76/80) upgrading usbutils                                         [####################################] 100%
(77/80) upgrading vpnc                                             [####################################] 100%
(78/80) upgrading xf86-input-void                                  [####################################] 100%
(79/80) upgrading xmlsec                                           [####################################] 100%
(80/80) upgrading yakuake                                          [####################################] 100%
ldconfig: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1 is not a symbolic link

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
( 1/16) Creating system user accounts...
( 2/16) Reloading system manager configuration...
  Skipped: Running in chroot.
( 3/16) Creating temporary files...
Failed to open file "/sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload": Read-only file system
error: command failed to execute correctly
( 4/16) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 5/16) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 6/16) Updating the MIME type database...
( 7/16) Updating module dependencies...
( 8/16) Updating Kernel initcpios for Nvidia-DRM...
==> ERROR: No presets found in /etc/mkinitcpio.d
( 9/16) Refreshing PackageKit...
Error connecting: Could not connect: No such file or directory
(10/16) Reloading system bus configuration...
(11/16) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(12/16) Updating icon theme caches...
(13/16) Restore Linux kernel modules

==> Warning:
         -> Kernel has been updated. Modules of the current kernel
         -> have been backed up so you can continue to use your
         -> computer. However, the new kernel will only work
         -> at next boot.

(14/16) Updating the info directory file...
(15/16) Copy Thunderbird Distribution Settings
(16/16) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
[manjaro /]#            
[manjaro /]# exit
exit
 --> umount: [/mnt/home/sam/Sams2ndDrive]
 --> umount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> umount: [/mnt]

To summarize though, what fixed my system was executing these two commands:

pacman -Syy 
pacman -Syu

Edit:
Well, looks like I had bad luck. Still got the “error file /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found” error message. Back to square one.

Because no linux packages was updated.

mhwd-kernel --listinstalled
mhwd-kernel --install linux60

If already installed, then:

mkinitcpio --allpresets
update-grub

Ok, I did all of those commands and this is what I got:

[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel --listinstalled
Currently running: 5.15.60-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
   * linux519
   * linux60
[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel --install linux60
 core                                                             167.1 KiB   795 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
 extra                                                           1879.1 KiB  4.96 MiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
 community                                                          7.5 MiB  4.81 MiB/s 00:02 [#######################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                         171.0 KiB  2.78 MiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
warning: linux60-6.0.8-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: linux60-nvidia-520.56.06-13 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) linux60-6.0.8-1  linux60-nvidia-520.56.06-13

Total Installed Size:  220.34 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                                                                [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                                                              [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                                                   [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                                                             [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking available disk space                                                           [#######################################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
(2/2) Save Linux kernel modules
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) reinstalling linux60                                                                    [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) reinstalling linux60-nvidia                                                             [#######################################################] 100%
ldconfig: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1 is not a symbolic link

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/7) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/7) Updating module dependencies...
(3/7) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 6.0.8-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [resume]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
(4/7) Updating Kernel initcpios for Nvidia-DRM...
(5/7) Refreshing PackageKit...
Error connecting: Could not connect: No such file or directory
(6/7) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
(7/7) Restore Linux kernel modules

==> Warning:
         -> Kernel has been updated. Modules of the current kernel
         -> have been backed up so you can continue to use your
         -> computer. However, the new kernel will only work
         -> at next boot.

[manjaro /]# mkinitcpio --allpresets
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
[manjaro /]# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
[manjaro /]# 

linux60 is already installed as you can see. Reinstalled a few times now, but sadly it didn’t seem to fix the issue with the vmlinuz file…