My Manjaro Story

I am a UNIX man through and through. It's a personal rule of mine that any computer I own will run UNIX - sometimes one flavour of it, sometimes two. My ThinkPads all run Solus, a distribution that I absolutely love, and until six months ago, my 17" monster of a MacBook Pro ran OS X and Ubuntu-Budgie, which I tolerated (operative word)...

until disaster struck, my Ubuntu install got totally trashed, and I decided right then and there that I needed another distro. I hate the whole Debian philosophy, the holding packages back for "stability", the PPA-hell, the two-page apt-get command that I had on my Google Drive just to get the system working to my satisfaction. On the other hand, Solus gives me rolling updates, the desktop environment looks much nicer than Ubuntu-Budgie even though it's the same on both, etc. The choice at that point was simple and obvious: install Solus. Only Solus refused to boot from the USB stick. Grey screen. I tried a few tricks, same thing. This left me with no feasible (or rather, desirable) options.

It should be noted here that I like a "traditional" desktop experience, i.e. one that imitates a Windows or OS X work-flow. I also like modern styling, something that shows off the display capabilities of contemporary PC's (i.e. not XFCE). I used to use mainline Ubuntu until they switched to Unity (at which point I bashed my head against the wall and installed Cinnamon), then when Unity died, I tried Gnome 3 for about ten minutes. What is the big space in the middle of the screen, if not for storing symlinks and files?! Even OS X gives you a choice between desktop and dock. When Solus came out with Budgie, I was very impressed---it really was the desktop environment and "look" tailored for me.

So, what I needed was a rolling release cycle, an easy installation (no pick-and-choose), and a desktop environment that suited my style. Arch was instantly out because I'd have to nitpick every little thing (no thank you), Solus wouldn't boot, SuSE was too "unfriendly", I'd heard of something called Antergos, and some European distro called Manjaro was trending on DistroWatch.

That was when I checked out Manjaro's site. Wow. All the desktop environments I could ever think of. There was Cinnamon, and KDE, and Budgie... and what the hell is Deepin? I picked the Deepin edition on a whim... wow. Just wow.

Manjaro with Deepin Desktop Environment is absolutely the most "polished", most beautiful operating system I have ever used. It has the Windows 10 style, but it applies consistently. The workflow is very much like Budgie. Just a few tweaks needed (increase the font size, etc, etc). It's one of the few operating systems that has The X Factor, if you get my drift.

I strongly recommend Manjaro-Deepin to all users of Linux. Beginner, intermediate, or advanced. Doesn't really matter. Sure, you might end up using the terminal (in fact, you probably will), but it'll usually be cut-and-pasting commands from documentation. It's a pity that Manjaro-Deepin is a "community edition"; this scares off the reviewers who think it implies "unstable".

The only flaw in Manjaro-Deepin is the package store, which is possibly the ugliest I've seen. It doesn't match the Deepin widgets, it's text heavy, hard to "browse" (as opposed to search).

Has anyone any thoughts about Manjaro-Deepin? Feel similarly to me? Differences of opinion are of course welcome.

10 Likes

Nice read, thanks for posting add I am glad you are liking Manjaro so far.

It definitely isn't a store, so if you are looking for a store type of interface, it doesn't have that. It is a graphical package manager.

To me, a store and a package manager are essentially the same thing. Software available for one-click download and install. I think Manjaro-Deepin's version is ugly (perhaps made for Gnome 3, judging by the interface?) compared to, say, Synaptic. On the other hand, it's fast. Not like the Apple Store.

On the other hand, I've looked at Deepin Linux's package manager, and it looks rather nice.

While I'm not disagreeing with you on the visual aspect of a "software store" looking much nicer, really how much time do you spend using it once your system is installed. Functionality is far more important than eye candy in my books.

Deepin may be very visually appealing, but it is in heavy development so be prepared to experience lots of bugs. Deepin is switching to kwin in their newest version and the early reports are it is extremely bug filled. So be ready for some major instability when that change hits Manjaro soon.

I'm glad you are enjoying Manjaro.

5 Likes

Oh, believe me, I know about the Kwin thing. I noticed that line in Deepin's release notes and was wondering why it hadn't filtered down to Arch (I use Unstable, so essentially Arch). But apparently if you have Mutter installed, it will default to that.

I tried Kwin, and yes, it's a bit buggy. Don't know why it was released as stable.

As regards software stores/package managers, I use them a lot after system installation. Emacs? Find it in Pamac. Mercurial? Pamac. LaTeX, when I need to write an article and make it look pretty? Pamac. So, yes, functionality is very important to me, and Pamac satisfies, but what if I don't know what I'm looking for?

With original Deepin, you can browse categories of software. Need a nice text editor? There's the "Editors" section. My beloved Emacs can be found there.

Welcome to Manjaro, glad you finally found what you wanted.

Just a point about Deepin DE it is still in heavy development upstream and can at times be a bit buggy, retrofitting it into other distros can be a bit problematic, but the Manjaro maintainer (@oberon) does an outstanding job.

Also, be aware that as a leading edge rolling release distro Manjaro updates many hundreds of packages a month, a consistent flow of upstream changes are always hitting the repos.

Each Testing and Stable branch update has a corresponding forum thread with the details of packages updated, and the second post is used for known issues and workarounds.

It is highly recommended users read this thread before updating ... Manjaro is not a set and forget distro, despite its excellent stability, stuff still sneaks through. Backups can be handy too.

System maint is pretty important too, given hopefully you'll install once and maintain your system indefinitely.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance

3 Likes

I've been on Testing for a while - five months, I believe - and so far nothing has broken my computer. The only issues, tiny ones, are screen tearing and a loud fan. The non-free Nvidia drivers just cause my screen to blank out - using Nouveau instead.

I did try the Unstable branch a few times - that was hit and miss, I had to use the console to roll back to Testing once. If I were to install Manjaro on my mum's computer (she knows nothing about computers), I'd have her on Testing at most.

As for system maintenance, the big problem for me is unused dependencies. They eat up my SSD space and do absolutely nothing.

1 Like

Depending what GPU model you have, there are ways to fix tearing or other inconsistencies ... :slight_smile:

1 Like
split this topic #9

12 posts were split to a new topic: Black screen with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and GeForce GT 330M

I guess, this is not the most pressing problem right now, but pamac also offers a categories view:

It might be not as specific as the Deepin's one (at least it has no editors category) but it follows the standard category definition which can be also found in Synaptic, for example.

split this topic #22

A post was merged into an existing topic: Black screen with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and GeForce GT 330M

You can go to Installed>Orphans menu in Pamac and remove unused dependencies. (I suggest you to investigate the packages before removing. If there are packages you need, you can mark them as "explicitly installed" so that they won't appear in Orphans category anymore.) For your future package removals, you can enable "Remove unrequired dependencies" option in Pamac preferences. This way, when you remove a package, it'll also remove its unused dependencies. I use this option for a lean system.

Welcome to the Manjaro community and I'm glad to know that you're enjoying your Deepin experience. I'm now retake tiling window managers and I'm enjoying Awesome 4.x a lot and the more I used, the more I get used to the workflow and the more I feel that organizing Windows in any GUI is counterintuitive and anti-flow.

My perfect UI would have the beauty and minimalist of Enlightenment with the ergonomics and programmability of Awesome and the completeness of XFCE... Awesome plus some stuff installed from here and there gives that experience, but I know that this perfect UI is a forking path where sometimes we meet and many we don't.

I don't know what version of mac you use but my gnome3.32 virtualy looks identical in fact i forget i'm using mac at times by the way i have used gnome3 for years and the hackintosh only weeks so i never set up gnome to look like mac just the way i use it.
You can have the dreaded icons on the desktop by the way in gnome with a extention but what a waste of time that is moving minimising to get to them
In the Mac apstore you can get add-ons to remove desktop icons a choice of about 5 that means not all Mac users want dreaded icons on a desktop what a security risk they are.

I don't use the icons on the DT all the time—probably use the menu and dock a bit (much) more, but it's comforting to know it's there (primarily for files as opposed to programs), and I really don't want to install an extension for what ought to be basic fokken behaviour.

Same with Start menu—I can one-click my way between Win10 style menu and Win8 style screen, no need to piss around with hidden stuff. I did maybe 10 mins of customisation once installed and my puter was the way I wanted it.

Even Kwin has grown to the point that I can safely use it. I've settled into a nice environment, and it really hasn't taken too many changes—my benchmark, given that I use the USB stick a lot of times and need something predictable.

Everyone reading this should note that Kwin works nicely now, I've been using it for the past few weeks—and it makes Pamac look gorgeous. What I thought was ugliness was actually inconsistency; Pamac under Mutter had holdovers from GTK/Tango/whatever, so it clashed, given that Tango is textured like Win XP/7, and Deepin is like looking through a steamy window.

1 Like

well some off what you write makes sense to me the rest not really.

Lets start with KDE plasmoids, widgets, they are no different to extensions the only difference is the spelling. mainly come from users.

Move to MAC one of the most popular aids note change of spelling is remove desktop icons, their are 5 versions of this in the app store or in the latest version that i use you can just switch them off in settings.

Windows has a option in win10 to completely switch off desktop icons, unlike older versions it now sticks on reboot, win has always given a choice of no icons.

Gnome has a extension to add desktop icons.

KDE yes you can switch desktop icons off,

Do you not see the trend its choice icons on the desktop or not, why would you have the choice if it was mandatory or users do not see the need.

Menu Mac does not have a drop down application menu. it uses a similar menu to Gnome dynamic menu. plus keyboard short-cut.

Gnome gives you a choice yes that extension is a official gnome extension part of the classic desktop "note with Gnome you have a choice logging in to use the classic desktop or gnome the modern desktop.. plus just press the left super key for the dynamic menu.

Win8 never had a pop up menu 8.1 had a optional pop up menu

win10 has the option of traditional or tablet win8 style.

KDE caters for all, the pop up menu is default classic KDE but not mandatory it can be removed, everything else is plasmoids widgets a different spelling for extensions as they extend user experience.

KDE,GNOME;XFCE can look like and perform like any other desktop and by cutomising can look like each other that is user choice but you can't make windows look like KDE GNOME MAC etc.
AND the same with MAC it can only be a MAC

To me they all give fantastic choice to the user XFCE even gives more choice as its vanilla you get a blank bar you choose what to put on that bar. again it uses widgets extentions or what ever you want to call them.
Users mix up DE individual choice by distros with the vanilla desktop in Linux Gnome actually does it correctly by just as does XFCE by giving a basic vanilla desktop, that in turn gives the user the choice off customising to suit the user not by somebody else.

SO we the Linux wingers do nothing but complain about the fantastic choice we are given ripping each other choice of DE off as it is life and death completely imnoring the work put into the cutting edge desktop provided free with no strings.

Well that is my take on it all.

1 Like

Oh, I'm not complaining about the choice. I wouldn't use Gnome as my primary environment, but some people would. It's touch friendly, etc.

I have my opinions, that's all. Deepin is best for me.

No i'm not saying that.
Deepin has the potential to be the best Linux choice one day I have used it, it needs more work and remember a bit like unity its only in its comfort zone in its Debian Base. Arch and the Manjaro dev have worked very hard to adapt it to a rolling release. I don't put any desktop down I don't like others putting any desktop down.

Like I said, I have my opinions, and I don't think that Gnome or Unity or anything is crappy for everyone. That's why they have their users.

But think about it, seriously. How long does it take for you to get your desktop The Way You Want It, on a clean install? For me, 10 minutes. Max.