My internal system ssd always also shows as an extra unmounted external drive

In Dolphin. What could be causing this?

My fstab:

UUID=12D5-DA4B                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=6e61e513-786b-42e0-9f16-7ecc1fb0e8c2 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=1d49a1b8-535c-46c5-8323-c8d154119e55 swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=ff9f74c5-0b11-4fca-9736-b13b0d39067f /media/newhome btrfs   defaults,nofail,subvol=@home  0 0
UUID=50396858-2baa-4254-855e-e78dbdb10485 /media/backup  btrfs   defaults,nofail,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

if I click on it, it gets mounted and mount shows this additional line

/dev/sdc2 on /run/media/myusername/6e61e513-786b-42e0-9f16-7ecc1fb0e8c2 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)

It is no real problem, but I wonder why this happens.

I’m not sure exactly what this but if you install and run gparted it might provide more information on what this partition is. It seems like there’s a partition on the drive–/dev/sdc–that the system is treating as an external drive.

Do be careful not to change anything in gparted that you’re not sure about. Playing with partitions can very easily break your system. It will show you what drives/partitions it detects along with info about the filesystems on them.


I know what this partition is. It is my root partition. I only wonder why it also shows up as an external drive in dolphin.

But inspecting it in gparted shows me, that it is recognized as both sda and sdc - and that they have different sizes! That’s because as sda it has an additional 10 gb of free space at the end. Weird! Must be something with the partition table … It also shows up twice in rEFInd …

Ah, yes. Sorry, I missed that the UUIDs matched between it and partition mounted as ‘/’

Humm, most odd. I almost wonder if there’d been some sort of snapshotting going on.

If it were me, I’d consider backing everything up; redoing my partition layout, then restoring to get rid of it. Or, I’d just ignore it :wink:

This behavior predates my btrfs drives, so I don’t suppose this comes from these. It is an old Apple drive though.

There might be some odd-ball Apple stuff going on with it. When I’ve used Apple drives in the past I’ve always re-written their partition table under the Devices menu in gparted before setting them up.

I think I did this as well, but I’ll further investigate from that angle…

Cool, sorry I’m not of more help.