My computer with Manjaro xfce edition freezes

In Srihari77 profile I see:
Desktop Environment: Xfce
CPU: Intel core2duo
GPU: Nvidia geforce 8400 GS

Your system is from around 2007, most likely non-Uefi bios.
Did you install any ‘proprietary nvidia driver’? It will not work.

If that’s what happened, reinstall and use ‘open source’ nouveau driver option.

Best start with manjaro xfce minimal edition (https://download.manjaro.org/xfce/21.3.5/manjaro-xfce-21.3.5-minimal-220721-linux515.iso) and carefully add apps later, this can work ok but probably not with a faulty PSU, if that is you:

I think my PSU is faulty, it gives some kind of sound like “tik pot” when I connect my CPU to current.
Computer always freezes - Linux & Unix

No I have not installed any proprietary drivers.
It is running with open source drivers.
And should I install the Manjaro minimal xfce edition? And now the psu doesn’t give any kind of sound like that, no problem with that.

Not working bro

you have a old system, so provide output from:
mhwd -l && mhwd -li && mhwd-kernel -li

In the terminal right?

It is getting freeze randomly while working normally

yes run it in the terminal and copy it here…
very likely because of video drivers, and that you are running a 5.15 kernel on such an old system … so provide the output from the command

OK let me do it

A faulty PSU does not necessarily make a sound. I had a faulty PSU causing random reboots, checking the rails with a meter I found the 12 V rail to fluctuate wildly but the 5 V rail was solid.

Thank you

So what you think my PSU is bad

It’s one possibility, my post was just for you to keep it in mind and not dismiss it because it isn’t making any strange sounds.

EDIT: Faulty PSU’s can be hard to diagnose which is why I used a multi-meter.

I even think there is a hardware issue. Because now I am observing that my computer is even getting freeze before it actually boots the operating system.

Another thought - if your system is getting on a bit, the thermal compound on the CPU could have dried out. You may need to remove the heat sink, clean off the old paste, apply new and re-seat the heat sink.

So you are telling that this issue may be because of overheating. Dried thermal paste right?

It’s just another possibility. I replaced the thermal paste on my old machine last year thinking that was the cause of the reboots - it wasn’t and that’s when I tested the PSU.

I would start by testing the PSU as it’s free (assuming you have a meter)

OK, but how did you correctly check your PSU

I used a multi-meter set to 20 V DC and probed the pins of an unconnected HDD lead

What this tells us about the PSU?

The voltages should be stable and pretty much either 12 V or 5 V depending on the rail you are probing. My 12 V rail fluctuated a lot while the 5 V side was perfectly stable.