My command line gives zshell output but I don't know why

My Printer scan utility outputs this:

   ~  brscan-skey -l                                                                                       ✔ 
zsh: command not found: brscan-skey

I’m wondering what zsh is doing here - I run the Plasma edition, and it appears that August last year, that was still shipped with bash by default. I can’t remember installing zsh on purpose, but it’s there, including a .zshrc file in my user home.

1. I’m not sure this even means zsh is my system default now - does it? Yakuake also says “KDE Terminal ~: zsh” in the bottom left corner…
  2. I installed a bunch of fancy newer CLI utilities (e.g. I forgot which one is giving my command prompt this pretty look with icons) - yes, I often go wild with installing new stuff people tell me is cool - but I’m not aware they might have pulled zsh as a dependency. Are there packages that do that: switching your system default shell to zsh?
  3. Or did Manjaro Plasma make zsh the default in the meantime and it was there from the beginning?

In any case I noticed only now because this is the first command mentioning zsh in the output, and I’m trying to find reason why this one isn’t working.

The maintainer of the KDE edition has decided to use zsh.

It has no bearing for execution of bash scripts - as all scripts has the #! to identify the binary to be used.

The look of your prompt is delivered by the package manjaro-zsh-config

Thank you! See, I never installed this one manually (but its’ great). So this was installed by system update?

But by bash scripts you do not also mean all commands, do you?

Do you think the fact that it’s zsh could be the reason why that scan utility isn’t working - because it’s a bash command and zsh doesn’t know what to do with it?

If you didn’t customize it and kept it as the default, it changed with to the new defaults with the update, I believe.

Not in all cases … probably some dependency tree … as mine was never changed.

But I would probably be a bit upset if it was.

And I’m sure it’d provide a good reason to be for many. People like their terminal “they way they want it”

Any given user’s shell is stored on a per user base in /etc/passwd.

No updates changes the default shell - so you have recently (re)installed the system using a very recent ISO.

2 Likes

Mine neither.

But then, I suspect it’s because mine is relatively heavily customized. At least in comparison with anyone else’s I’ve seen…

Very true, thanks for reminding me!

But then how do we account for the multiple reports of the shell changing?
Such as for OP here?
Or is this a language scenario - everyone is talking about ‘the change’ meaning in the new default ISO profile, not a change to their systems?

1 Like

But:

echo $SHELL                                                                                      127 ✘ 
/bin/bash

Depends on your definition of recently. Is there a way to ask the OS when it first came to life on this machine? I think it was around end of May this year.

I think this is specific to KDE as some default KDE choices - like the underlying shell for Konsole is set globally (stored in /usr/share or in /etc/xdg) - so when the maintainer changes the global config - then users - which has not altered defaults - will have the Konsole default changed without knowledge.

This is a very KDE specific issue - and the often repeated sentence update don't change user settings is only true for settings stored in ~/.config - but not for KDE global settings.

1 Like
stat / | grep  -i birth

For example:

$ stat / | grep -i birth
Birth: 2020-09-14 13:00:31.000000000 +0200
1 Like

heh?
do you mean grep -i ?
Or is this some zsh autofill ? :rofl:

PS … this machine:

$ stat / | grep Birth
 Birth: 2018-11-09 05:27:55.000000000

For Konsole, the shell is set in the used profile, and it is the new Breath theme that uses zsh as its shell instead of bash.

2 Likes

Yeah! :rofl:
My alias for grep -i. I usually edit it, but forgot this time. :rofl:

:grin: I love how this output is exactly telling me “when it came to life”, so here’s mine (needed to grep for the German word - and my zsh offered to always interpret grepi as grep):

Geburt: 2021-04-16 00:24:28.000000000 +0200
1 Like

That is pretty weird, no? GUI-themes dictating the default shell?

Well - I know some of the members has a system which has run for years.

My primary system never survives that long

Birth: 2021-08-22 12:29:07.000000000 +0200
1 Like

Until Manjaro, mine never lasted more than 6 months…

1 Like