Multiple bootup issues after power failure while updating

PC Specs - i5 4440, H97 motherboard.

I updated my Manjaro installation today. Since there was a kernel updating, I clicked restart. But while restarting, I faced a power failure.

Now when I try to boot up, I get the following errors

error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
error: file /boot/vmlinuz6.1-x86_64' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

So the following are the issues I have noticed.

1. Unable to boot. I am getting the above mentioned errors.
  2. Unable to boot a Manjaro Live USB when this particular hard disc is connected!The bootup process gets frozen at “*Starting systemd-udevd version 252.10-2-manjaro*” text. I tried different versions of ISOs, still getting the same issue. But when I remove my faulty Manjaro hard disc, the live USB boots up without any issue!

[Note: There are no older kernels listed on “Advanced option for Manjaro Linux” in Grub.]

It would be really helpful if someone can help me out with this situation. I have a few important files left on that installation. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

1 Like

Seems like disk error to me. The message to restart is at the end, so you had successful update and a kernel before you rebooted…and now it is broken…so maybe a filesystem problem? I think the first priority will be to repair the broken partition/ filesystem. Boot from live iso, connect the drive after that and try fsck.
And after that chroot and run again the update, update grub, maybe manually install a kernel with mhwd-kernel as per tutorials.

Hello,

Yeah just ran fsck -y and e2fsck and I am getting the following output.

e2fsck: Input/output error while recovering journal of dev/sdb2
e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/sdb2

/dev/sdb2: ***** “WARNING: Filesystem still has errors” *****

I guess the partitions got corrupt beyond repair. What do you think?

1 Like

It is beyond my level of competence than, sorry. Superblock should not be a show stopper by itself since there are several copies of it, but why is the disk just not marking the area as bad sectors and still trying to write to it… no idea.

Aah I see…thanks anyway.