MSM "new kernel notification" discussion

What is up with the help requests that have been posted lately when the OP is using kernel 4.20. Don’t these people get that it’s an experimental kernel that’s in very early development. I mean, go back to an LTS kernel for some stability.

4.20 is bound to be full of bugs at this point. Why does everybody figure the minute a new kernel is released they have to be running it. They make out like it’s Manjaro’s fault because their system is buggy, when it’s their own impatience to have the latest and greatest that’s the problem.

What is up with this big rush to always be on the newest kernel. I don’t get it.

Discussion on manajro-settings-manager-notifier

You’re obviously not American…or 'Murican enough. Ehh? :wink:

You already know us Canadians are far more conservative than our brethren down south. I even do all my updates from the tty, for crying out loud.

Probably because they get a notification from MSM which says “A new kernel is available, please upgrade!” :roll_eyes:

Oh I forgot about all those pesky update notifiers, I disable all of them.

Devil’s advocate: we did not get to put 4.20-RC kernels thru their paces, like we did with 4.19. I mean, I’m currently at 29 v4.19 builds (starting from RC1).

I just don’t know enough about PKGBUILDS to have made/edited one for the 4.20 RC’s, and I didn’t want to compile them like a barbarianTM@Lolix

In addition to that, there is nothing telling them it is experimental or new or anything else. They get asked to upgrade, so they do.

Lemmings.

:thinking: It could stem from curiosity.

In my case, I would want to see for myself the advantages or disadvantages of using kernel 4.20.

However, anything of an experimental nature would have bugs.

And, you are right about they sticking with a LTS kernel if they desire stability.

Perhaps Manjaro should rethink its policy with regards to the notifications. Perhaps a notification should only be issued when a new LTS kernel is released. It would certainly cut down on the number of help requests. I think it would also help remove some of the mentality that it’s Manjaro’s fault if they install an experimental kernel and sh@t goes sideways.

Or perhaps simply a notification that a new kernel is available would be more appropriate. Removing the recommendation to upgrade would seem prudent.

Honestly, I think a notification should only happen if your current kernel goes off of support.

If your current kernel is working and still supported, why push people to change?

I think a notification is fine if you’re on an EOL kernel. Otherwise, anyone who has a working system doesn’t really need to switch kernels.

This all sounds like a feature request/bug report for MSM…

If it’s experimental, it should be tagged as such. Currently, the 4.20 kernel has no such warning:

New thread opened:

which also sounds familiar…
IIRC this discussion has been already done in the past, it feels dejavu to me…
Maybe @tbg had missed it?..

I agree. If the current working kernel isn’t EOL, there is no reason to prompt someone to switch kernels.

MSM - Change kernel notification policies

I fully agree with you, and I remember this isn’t the first time someone questions this subject.

I concur, the default should be to have the ‘only notify LTS kernels’ option ticked as per the below. If a more experienced user wants notifying of non-LTS kernels then they can alter this it as desired.

My comment is here (I feel lazy to rewrite…)

The next post on that topic has the solution, as well…

I not so sure what is ‘proper’? :thinking:

While I understand your/the concerns regarding user experience and forum support I’m not sure it is in the spirit of Manjaro. I realise that the kernel is somewhat special but often/in general Manjaro rolls with beta, release candidate, and cutting (not bleeding) edge software. For example, Firefox-beta releases are the norm, Wine is currently ‘rc’, etc. It does not aim for stability over all else.

If I have it correct MSM does not notify users about rc kernel versions by default but only when they are properly released. That means they have been signed off on by the kernel developers as stable enough for community distribution. Issues will be spotted with wider use and rolling distro’s will likely be first to notice. That’s part of the way the kernel develops.

Manjaro allows the possibility to avoid the newer kernels (unlike say Firefox or Wine) and that is a great strength. But I believe it is also a strength for the distro to be rolling with the newest kernel by default. If there are issues regarding the stability of released kernels then that should be taken up, upstream.

So I am happy with the current situation. Making users more aware of this situation is however something that I would fully support.

Just my two cents. :wink: