MSI GE620DX laptop - Unable to install NVIDIA 390.xx drivers

Current setup dual boot on my 10 years old laptop - Manjaro KDE Plasma Pahvo 21.1.2 with Windows 10.

My laptop has Intel HD graphics 3000 and Nvidia 635m running fine on windows 10.

In Manjaro it detected both Nvidia Geforce GT635M and Intel 3000, installed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee by default but then it isn’t running nvidia graphics when i run games. It will log me out of session.

I tried installing nvidia 390xx but it failed says conflict with hybrid intel 390xx bumblebee. I then uninstall the bumblebee and install nvidia 390xx proprietor drivers and black screen after restart. Since the system is freshly installed i took the trouble to reinstall Manjaro again as I didn’t know how to recover the system.

So i’m back where I started, unable to install nvidia drivers to get my graphics card working.

I also tried a few different kernels (5.14, 5.13 and 5.10) without any luck.

My system:

Intel i7 2670QM (HD 3000)
Nvidia 635M 2GB
16gb RAM
1tb SSD
MSI GE620DX laptop

Been meddling around for some time now. Hope you GURU’s can help. Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

The Geforce GT635M is compatible with the 390-series driver. Therefore,

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  3. As you have a 10-YO machine, have you tried 5.4 LTS already as that’s still supported till Dec 2025.

:+1:

P.S. If you want to notify me that you did provide this information, please :heart: this message and I’ll come back and have another look.

An important thing to note is the documentation of supported GPUs: Appendix A. Supported NVIDIA GPU Products

Note that the list of supported GPU products provided below and on the driver download page is provided to indicate which GPUs are supported by a particular driver version. Some designs incorporating supported GPUs may not be compatible with the NVIDIA Linux driver: in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available. Hardware designs will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please consult with a system’s manufacturer to determine whether that particular system is compatible.

TLDR: NVIDIA does not officially support laptops which don’t have mux switches that allow you to bypass the iGPU. There’s community projects for laptops that do not have mux switches, but they are not supported by NVIDIA.

1 Like

Absolutely correct, but OP is talking about hybrid Bumblebee, so let’s not scare OP off too much:grin: Let’s see what their inxi brings!

:crossed_fingers:

@Fabby,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will try with the older kernel and see how it goes, if it doesn’t work, will try the other option.

Just to add, I’m a beginner at linux, so I’m not ery familiar with the commands, please bear with me, thanks.

Thanks

1 Like