Moving "/home" From One Device To Another

I’m on a new computer I just built, and it’s working pretty good. :slight_smile: However, I made a bit of an omission and I’m not sure of the best way to fix it. When I ran the Manjaro installer, it only offered partitioning suggestions for Disk0 (500GB SSD), so I forgot to set Disk1 (2TB SSD) to mount as “/home”. So my “/home” is now on Disk0, which isn’t what I wanted.

So, what’s the best way to move /home from Disk0 to Disk1?

One idea that did occur to me was this:

1. Add a line to /etc/fstab to mount the UUID of Disk1 as “/home”
  2. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  3. Log out
  4. Log-in on TTY2 as root
  5. mv /home /home_OLD
  6. mkdir /home
  7. mount /home
  8. cp -R -p /home_OLD/* /home/

Would that work?

And even if that would work, seems a tad complicated; is there any better way to move “/home” from one device to another?

There is several topics in #contributions:tutorials which explains how to achieve this.

2 Likes

Ok, I went there, and near the end someone made the off-handed suggestion “either that, or use a live environment” which was an idea I hadn’t thought of. So I rebooted from my Manjaro install USB stick, mounted Disk0 as “/disk0”, mounted Disk1 as “/disk1”, renamed “/disk0/home” to “/disk0/home_OLD”, did “cp -R -p /disk0/home_OLD/* /disk1/”, added a line to “/disk0/etc/fstab” to mount Disk1’s UUID as “/home”, and restarted. Everything works. :slight_smile: I’ll mark your post as “Solution”. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.