Move Manjaro partition

Hello
I’m completely new to linux. I’m running Windows 10 alongside Manjaro Budgie on a 128GB ssd and have initialy cleared up 25GB of space for my linux partion. I have now decided to add another 20 GB, but when I started gparted from a live usb and wanted to expand my linux partion to the left, it warned me that since im moving a root partion linux will likely fail to boot. Is there any way to fix this? I know basicaly noting about how linux works so I dont even know what to google and havent found anything relevant so far.
I appreciate any help.:wink:

1 Like

Even though my attepmt was successful without a fuzz I’ve seen system fails in some cases.

I would back up the data from both systems, then resize the Win partition ( which you already did? I guess ) and then attempt to resize the linux partition ( you have single one I presume ).

If it fails, the you can reinstall linux, that’s fairly quick.

If you’ve not resized the WIndows partition yet, please do defragmentation on that drive before you cut 25 gigs from it.

extending to the right would be safer. But that partition on the right would not be safe.

Nice. Good to hear it gives a warning. I don’t move, resize or delete partitions nowadays.

1 Like

This is all risky, not that it can’t be fixed, but more in fixing it may become more difficult/longer than just reinstalling. After you resize the partition run:

sudo mhwd-chroot

You may need to install it, with:

sudo pacman -S mhwd-chroot

Once you are chooted, you can run:

sudo pacman -S mtools os-prober
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub

This assumes you have grub installed on /dev/sda.

If you use UEFI then to reinstall grub its:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
sudo update-grub

This is all taken from https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader so you can go there for more details.

This is easier. Still, if we can avoid it…

After finishing partition changes you need to change fstab entries with the changed UUIDs that probably changed.

ok, thx for the help everyone.

It’s better to backup any important documents/files before you do it. Just in case if it goes wrong and you need to reinstall.

To give you some comfort, I recently expanded my manjaro partition to left and it went without any trouble. :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.