Mouse cursor invisible in live environment[AMD Zen5]

So I just built a new system and was thinking of changing things up from my normal Fedora systems. Thus I downloaded the latest KDE spin of Manjaro and in the live environment it appears that the mouse cursor is not visible. It is there as I can get various portions of the DE to respond when the cursor happens to get the right part of the screen but the cursor itself in not visible. Any thoughts?

Also the hardware I am running is this:
AMD Ryzen 7700X
XFX RX 7900XT
32 GB DDR5 memory
Logitech G502 mouse

3 Likes

+1 I have the same issue with a similar set up on am4

Yes, same issue here with a 7900 XTX. My advice is do the install then when you boot up pull up the terminal and run:

sudo pacman -R xf86-video-amdgpu

After that is removed then reboot. That fixed it for me. May not be the best solution but it works for a temp fix until it can be fixed properly. It’s the only thing I found so far that doesn’t involve attempting to patch the driver while the mouse is invisible. And I’m not sure that would work as the patch solution I found was from Sept 2022. So, a few months before the 7900 XT(X) was even out. And I would think that patch would already be incorporated into the latest driver release as that was 5 months ago now.

1 Like

Yep that did it for me. It is shame that AMD has such a good setup but can’t get drivers out for it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s an AMD thing or not. I’ve read that the problem goes away under Wayland desktop session. It might be a X11 driver specific problem. At any rate, I do hope AMD improves their Linux driver support. Instead of putting out their own half baked drivers I wish that they would just support Mesa more.

… fixed same problem at my end.

Was using CPUs integrated graphics while researching how to get my spanking new RX 7900XTX to work :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

This did it for me to!

I do wonder what that uninstall will do to my system…?

Hey for future folks who experience this, it seems to be an issue with the 7900XT(X)'s on multiple distros (just had this issue on mint) but this seems to work on any x11 desktop.

After you get through the install, open a terminal and edit this file:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.config.d/10-amdgpu.conf

add

Option “SWCursor” “True”

which for those with 7900XT(X)'s (probably other AMD GPUs too) should leave with you with this:

Section "OutputClass"
        Identifier "AMDgpu"
        MatchDriver "amdgpu"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "SWCursor" "True"
EndSection

Then reboot and enjoy life with a cursor again!

@Tomthetechie after this can one reinstall the xf86-video-amdgpu package?

Also this file doesn’t exist on my system but this one does:
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-radeon.conf
I am assuming this would be the correct target.

And the above mentioned file reads like this:

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "Radeon"
	MatchDriver "radeon"
	Driver "radeon"
EndSection

It didn’t affect mine that I can tell. But the Mass Effect series of games will not run so I do wonder if reinstalling the xf86 package will help that.

is there some upstream bug about this? HW cursor not working on AMD flagship GFX card is a disaster.

Ever used profiling tools to see screen repaint? It happens mainly when you change things, but with software cursor it happens with every mouse pixel move. At least on X, i don’t know wayland.

Hey this thread was really helpful. After editing the config file to temporarily regain the cursor, followed the instructions for Wayland in this thread:

forum. manjaro. org/t/how-to-install-wayland-kde-plasma/96263/2

(sorry can’t include links in my post, but it’s another thread here that’s useful)

After that and rebooting, I had the cursor back and I could finally get to SDDM to change the session type for my auto login account. Then I reverted the config change and rebooted again, and I have a cursor and my config is stock other than that huge change to Wayland.

Core i5-12600KF, Radeon 7900 XT. I’d been using HoloISO on a HTPC and wanted to try a Linux desktop, and this was what I chose. Kind of jarring out of the box to have to drop to the terminal right away but it’s fine. At least this works. :slight_smile:

I’ve been running SWCursor on amdgpu for a fw years now.
Never saw any reason to remove it.
Folks really shouldnt avoid amdgpu in general … then you are just missing out on youor cards full features.
In case anyone wants a peak…

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-amdgpu.conf
Section "OutputClass"
     Identifier "AMD"
     MatchDriver "amdgpu"
     Driver "amdgpu"
     Option "TearFree" "true"
     Option "SWCursor" "true"
EndSection

@FreeRangeTux This means your card will be using the old,deprecated,abandoned,legacy driver.
You really want amdgpu.

I mean … 7700x for example was only releaed ~6 months ago. Some hiccups can be forgiven for brand-spanking new hardware. Try loading an ISO using 4.12 kernel on this hardware …

1 Like

It stops blender from being able to render using the GPU