Mount unit failure after moving to ssd

Hello,

I did this a while back; it worked and still is, but doing the same thing for an SSD partition, I get errors about the “What=” setting missing, so I haven’t got to the .automount file yet:

systemctl status automounts-lutrisdisc.mount
○ automounts-lutrisdisc.mount - /automounts/lutrisdisc
     Loaded: bad-setting (Reason: Unit automounts-lutrisdisc.mount has a bad unit file setting.)
     Active: inactive (dead)
      Where: /automounts/lutrisdisc

Sep 26 19:19:09 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:1: Unknown section 'unit'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:19:09 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:5: Unknown section 'mount'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:19:09 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: automounts-lutrisdisc.mount: What= setting is missing. Refusing.
Sep 26 19:19:09 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:1: Unknown section 'unit'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:19:09 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:5: Unknown section 'mount'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:35:55 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:1: Unknown section 'unit'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:35:55 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:5: Unknown section 'mount'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:35:55 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: automounts-lutrisdisc.mount: What= setting is missing. Refusing.
Sep 26 19:35:55 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:1: Unknown section 'unit'. Ignoring.
Sep 26 19:35:55 leebut-Manjaro systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/automounts-lutrisdisc.mount:5: Unknown section 'mount'. Ignoring.

lsblk -no UUID /dev/sdc6 returned:
4822c45a-e7ff-4743-aebb-622dfab02b6f

Here’s the automounts-lutrisdisc.mount file:

[unit]

Description = Mount Lutris Disc (/automounts/lutrisdisc)

[mount]
What = /dev/disk/by-uuid/4822c45a-e7ff-4743-aebb-622dfab02b6f
Where = /automounts/lutrisdisc
type = ext4
options = defaults,rw,noatime

I thought I just needed to replicate what I did before. Perhaps something has changed.

Try with capitals for the section titles:

[Unit]

…and

[Mount]

That’s what mine is, and it’s working

Obviously also in the .automount file. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks but doing that made no difference for me.

I do have the directory tree. webdev is working fine. That’s on a HDD. I did make the lutrisdisc directory manually.
/
├── automounts
│ ├── lutrisdisc
│ └── webdev

Sorry, I thought I sent this, but it seems I didn’t.

Please open a new #support topic for this, so that we don’t hijack this #contributions:tutorials thread. It’ll also make sure your #support request gets more exposure.

1 Like

After editing the file, you need to reload the deamon:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Already mentioned - the unit sections and properties are case sensitive.

type is not Type and options is not Options

no spaces before and after equal-sign(=) or comma (,)

wrong

options = rw,defaults

correct

Options=rw,defaults,noatime

Besides the Unit and Mount section you need an Install section as well

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.