About cheatsheet

Hello everyone. Your official cheatsheet includes commands with “pamac”. I have been using “pacman” in my commands. Are they the same? For instance, “pamac upgrade -a” is the same with “pacman -Syyu”? Thanks.

Cheatsheet?

In any case … please do basic web and forum search before posting.

pacman and pamac are not the same thing.

1 Like

What @cscs says and this:

pacman -Syyupamac upgrade --force-refresh

pamac upgrade -apamac upgrade --aur (force include AUR)

1 Like

Thanks both of you. I’ll stick to “pacman” commands.

1 Like

If AUR support is enabled in pamac-manager

pamac upgrade --no-aur --force-refreshpacman -Syyu

2 Likes

On the main manjaro.org page: Learn > CheatSheet. :wink:

1 Like

Well thats new … and ommitted from any page on the wiki.
(ah yes about 7 weeks old. just a babe)

It also needs some fixing … for english, and probably formatting and suggested practices.

The short answer: no-ish.

The longer answer:

Both commands will update your system using the supported Manjaro repositories.

However, pamac has the additional feature to update packages from the unsupported AUR. Without pamac, to update AUR packages, you would need an AUR Helper.

I use pacman for updates, but also use pamac for AUR updates. Since pamac doesn’t just do AUR, I make sure to run pacman first, reboot, execute pamac checkupdates, review the output, and then update the AUR packages. Sometimes an installed package gets removed from the supported Manjaro repositories and by chance happens to exist in the AUR. I may not want or need that package, so I remove it before doing a pamac update with the -a option.

pamac (a Manjaro project), has a command line interface and a gui interface. pacman (an Archlinux project), is command line only. Behind the scenes, pamac manages and stores a copy of the package database (meta data representing packages) at /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/sync/. While pacman manages and stores a copy at /var/lib/pacman/sync/. They are both based on the package management library, libalpm and use the same mirror list (/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist). For updates, pamac is run as a normal user (polkit is used to handle privileges), pacman is run as root.

NOTE: Both tools have a man page.

1 Like

Pacman is the arch default package manger and pamac is the default manjaro package manger. Both work perfectly fine, I personally prefer pamac as its easier to update aur packages and also handles dependencies better

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed answer.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.