"mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=…" after yesterday’s update

Hello, after yesterday’s update, a friend’s notebook with Manjaro doesn’t boot up anymore. It is stuck at the boot messages:

Warning: /lib/modules/4.12.14-1-MANJARO/modules.devname not found – ignoring
starting version 234
ERROR: device ‘UUID=…’ not found. Skipping fsck
mount: /new_root: can’t find UUID=….
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs] #

He is a rather novice so this is definetly not his own fault. According to him, the update was completed fine. The partition scheme: /boot/efi at FAT32, /boot at ext4, / at btrfs, /home at btrfs.
As if this wasn’t enough, I exerienced the same problem just minutes later on Antergos – with a self-compiled kernel (linux-amd-staging-git) that hadn’t been touched by the update, as well as with stock Arch kernel. My first thought was, maybe this has something to do with btrfs? But then, how about my self-compiled kernel, which wasn‘t touched by the update? – Anyway, I was lucky and had a rsync system backup but my Manjaro friend does not.
BTW, just installed the latest Manjaro update batch on a third computer with the same ext4/btrfs combo like all above and it went fine, the machine boots. Has this gotten fixed this fast? Has a hotfix caused this on Arch and Manjaro was fast to pass it through to its users? Must be something critical because I’m doing updates on all weekdays on Antergos/Arch and just went into this problem yesterday…
Would be glad for any help! Would be a bummer to need to reinstall his system!

hi,

would you check /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, maybe btrfs at hooks line is missing after update.
If it’s missing, then add “btrfs” to hooks and rebuild initramfs

Thanks, we will give it a try over the next week or so.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by