Mount folders in /home

I would like to create my /home partition for the first time during the upcoming reinstallation (Plasma), instead of creating it separately, I would like to mount the data folders from the mounted data disk there. The data disk will be mounted under /media. On it are currently still the folders of my old /home-partition, Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads etc… If I now link these individual folders to /home, they only appear as simple folders without the visual labels of the system folders in /home. How can I get these folders to have the same appearance as the original system folders? Other approach: In Plasma there is an option to customize the paths for the folders from /home. How reliably does this work? Seems to me at least a more elegant solution than these ugly shortcuts.

This is very ambiguous. Unclear.
… to me, at least …

What are you trying to do?
What are you to accomplish?
What is the perceived problem?

Was möchtest Du tun?
Was willst Du erreichen?
Nachdem ich gelesen habe was Du geschrieben hast … verstehe ich es nicht.

Du hast den content, den Inhalt (extern)
willst ihn aber nicht kopieren
nur verlinken?
und das geht irgendwie nicht schön genug?

Ok, it is perhaps a little unclearly described. I want to mount my data partition under /media and move the folders in it (by name as in /home, i.e. documents, downloads, pictures, music) to /home, link them, whatever. So far I had /home as a separate partition. But what bothers me is that these linked folders will then no longer look like the system folders in /home, see screenshot.

Ok, es ist vielleicht ein wenig unklar beschrieben. Ich möchte meine Datenpartition unter /media mounten und die darin befindlichen Ordner (namentlich wie in /home, also Dokumente, Downloads, Bilder, Musik) nach /home verlegen, verknüpfen, was auch immer. Bislang hatte ich /home als separate Partition. Mich stört aber, dass diese verknüpften Ordner dann nicht mehr so aussehen werden, wie die Systemordner in /home, siehe Screenshot.

I’m just looking for a more elegant solution to include the folders linked from the data disk in /home. The linked folders just look too ugly …

Ich suche einfach nach einer eleganteren Lösung, die von der Datenplatte verlinkten Ordner in /home einzubinden. Die verknüpften Ordner sehen einfach zu hässlich aus …

Wenn ich mich noch immer missverständlich ausgedrückt habe, liegt das wohl an der Uhrzeit. Ich sollte schlafen gehen …

… ok
ich bin hier wahrscheinlich die falsche Person das zu beantworten.

Ich kümmere mich nicht um die optische Erscheinung in (irgendeinem) Datei Manager.
… nur darum, ob und wie ich den Inhalt erreichen kann …

… ok
I’m probably not the best source of advice here
since I only care about whether and how I can reach the content of some external medium
and not at all about what that might look like in some GUI file manager.

… and I don’t have or use KDE anyway
I use Xfce.
But I seldom use the graphical file manager in either DE (KDE, Gnome, Xfce … whatever) anyway.

es wird grad hell - ich geh’ jetzt auch erstmal :wink:

für optische Verbesserungen dieser Art und speziell in in KDE habe ich leider keine guten Ratschläge

1 Like

trotzdem danke :wink:

I recommend reading these topics - they may clarify - how to accomplish best possible way

1 Like

you can use symlinks to point the folder to your home folder
ln -s <path_to_downloads /home/user/downloads
ln -s /run/media/data/downloads /home/user/Downloads
you can change that to where ever your wanting to move the folder or from.just make sure the downloads or what ever folder your moving is deleted first in home.

Thanks, I was planning to do that anyway :wink:

thx @ all, job is done :ok_hand:t2:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.