Ordering autostart?

Everytime my PC boots I get network error from ExpressVPN GUI, because it starts before ExpressVPN Agent.
I want ExpressVPN GUI to autostart after ExpressVPN Agent autostarts. How can I make it?

1 Like

The order listed is not necessarily the order the application is started. You have to add a delay to the autostart entry.

Your autostart files are kept in /home/<user>/.config/autostart

Navigate to the autostart directory and edit the .desktop application with a text editor go to the Exec= line and add sleep 5 && between the = sign and the command. CHange the number 5 to what ever number of seconds you want to delay.

BEFORE
Comment=Hangouts (Ice SSB)
Exec=firefox
IceFirefox=hangouts
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application

AFTER
Comment=Hangouts (Ice SSB)
Exec=sleep 5 && firefox
IceFirefox=hangouts
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application

If the sleep command does not work for you, change it to use bash -c, example;

Exec=bash -c "sleep 5 && firefox"

5 Likes

In theory there is no need to “sleep” manually the exec command. There is a flag in the XDG-autostart specifications just for that in:

X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=<xx>

where are the seconds to delay. The thing is that I’m not sure if it works in KDE, it does in Gnome and others. So yours is probably a safer bet :+1:

2 Likes

This worked!

First I tried this but the program didn’t start at all. But I’m glad that the above one worked for me :slight_smile:

Yes, as you probably guessed, it didn’t work ok KDE.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.