Missing Newbies

You DIDN’T… oh, now, you’ve gone and done it… should… :shudder: :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl: Sorry, couldn’t help it… since what people should do and actually do on support forums often don’t meet expectation … hence the old ‘let me google that for you’ being a thing! :man_facepalming:

Of course! If someone finds an answer from an existing post, there’s no need to create a new post at all.

That’s why when figuring out one’s own issue, it’s helpful to post exactly what solved it for others to find.

Don’t be DenverCoder9:

xkcd: Wisdom of the Ancients

6 Likes

I get the teams point "every one is equal we’re all starting from scratch ". But you have to try and understand new manjaro users and those less knowledgeable like myself can feel intimidating and be scared of posting incase its a daft question. The newbies section did make you feel safer to post and that’s just human nature which won’t change

2 Likes

The thing is lowering the barrier will help some who wouldn’t post otherwise. But it will also incentivise some others to avoid the effort of creating a more useful help request. “They have Newbie Corner here, I don’t need to use my brain, they’ll do it for me.” :wink:

Yet, we will do our best to move a help request to the right category even if you happen to post it in a wrong one. This is not meant as headmastering, just that the right category will increase your chance to get a good answer.

However, what might make sense is to create a differently named first level support category. It will catch all requests unfiltered and unsorted and then the community voluneers together with the mods will move them to the appropriate place.

1 Like

Yes that makes perfect sense. I don’t think it matters what its called like you said but a section where new users and people with little linux knowledge feel safe to post will definitely encourage them to join the community, I was scared to post anywhere apart from the newbie forum when I joined. When I was a moderator on xda we had a special section for none members and new users to post in and only selected volunteers could reply to them, that sort of worked. It kept the forums clean but new users and none members got help

1 Like

I remember I was reading the old old forum for several moths before I actually posted something.

1 Like

You are 1,000,000,0000,000% WRONG about the off topic section. I always great to see items of interest posted that have nothing to do with the Os as long as they have nothing to do with politics or religion.

Good luck getting the staff of most forums to understand the benefits of doing this. That automatic close function is pure BS.

keep the off-topic feedback in the off-topic - topic: Will the off topic return - #25 by BS86 :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll be glad to know that I’m a moderator on another (discourse) forum, and I’m pretty sure auto-close is disabled. However, I can see the value in auto-closing threads, especially for software projects where in say three months time so much of the code might have been re-written that the original problem no longer relates to the problem a person has now.

So the Will the off topic return topic is going to be the new off topic forum? Just keep posting off topic there until it gets closed on us? :laughing:

Getting back to the topic - other than the ‘introduce yourself’ - I don’t think there is really a need for a newbies section. discobot could be tweaked so it shows newcomers the ropes, or that automatic PM that newcomers get on other forums.

1 Like

That will work for me. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

As a newbie… I didn’t pick up that subtlety but your point is taken. I should’ve changed my thinking when I saw that Support section to hey, I really do need support!

Maybe that paragraph wording under the word “Support” could also point newbies to this particular sub-forum and reflect something about a starting point when one doesn’t know where to start…

To be honest, I’m glad that Newbies Corner it’s gone beacuse it was a total massacre there, everyone can now head to Support, to whenever they need.

This category is already there: #support:general

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.