Missing libsmpeg-0.4.so.0 after smpeg update

Smpeg got updated from 0.4.5 to 2.0.0, I know it’s probably part of the arch transition from sdl to full sdl2 via sdl12-compat, as this new version of smpeg uses sdl2.

But the package onscripter from the aur relying on it can’t run anymore :

onscripter: error while loading shared libraries: libsmpeg-0.4.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

or compiles again :

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
SMPEG_LIBRARY

So shouldn’t there be some sort of the symbolic link file redirecting to the new library for compatibility’s sake ?

Onscripter is an AUR package. It was last updated on the AUR in March of this year. More telling is that the last release of onscripter was over a year ago. As such its likely that it needs to be updated by its developer. That is an upstream problem and you should likely request an update from its developer. Sadly at the top of that page the developer says he doesnt have a lot of time for the project, it might be better to look for another application.

Last release was this august thou.

But the thing is that the project is in sdl and not sdl2 so it uses the last sdl version of smpeg. Wouldn’t it be a problem for other packages or games ?

Well I guess I could ask the dev about the possibility to use smpeg2.

While wanting to be explicit as to not having a single clue as to specifics of this question as such… can you not just also install old SDL from the AUR alongside the now official sdl2? That is, seemingly this one? AUR (en) - sdl

[EDIT] Never mind; smpeg you said and it seems an old version of it isn’t on the AUR no.

Yes unfortunately.

But if the new version breaks compatibility, shouldn’t the new package be renamed smpeg2 ? That way if there was an old version on the aur, packages relying on it will still run with it while smpeg2 would still be installed. Thou I guess the other way around is possible.

Possibly, although the AUR is (in essence) really what it says to be: a repository of user provided content that exists as a service for those that may at some time happen to be able to use it.

Yes, Arch in fact retiring once official packages to the AUR as well as Manjaro having AUR helpers that “sorta integrate it sorta” in the system anyways lessen that wholy unsupported state a bit in theory I feel – but it doesn’t in practice so Jim.B’s advise would in a practical sense be right I guess. That is, if you’re not up for porting or recompiling onscripter to new smpeg yourself you’d try and contact its maintainer on the AUR…