missing grub screen

Hi All

Recently my ati card died in my macbook pro 17 and I had to revert to the intel card. Anyway I removed refind. I am able to boot the machine with the current kernel, but I have no grub screen, the system boots well, but I need the grub screen to choose to boot into a older kernel, due to bluetooth issues with the 5 kernel under the macbook pro 17

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
edit: GRUB_TIMEOUT=15 (or 10, or whatever you prefer)
and, to permanently disable the auto-hide feature, run in terminal …
sudo grub-editenv - unset menu_auto_hide
sudo update-grub
then reboot :smiley::+1:t2:

1 Like

Try hitting the shift key as it boots. Grub has been hidden.

Welcome back @yaboo :ghost:

See this.

Hi looking back, it seems when I had to added some variables to make the intel card working on the macbook pro 17, I had to do a mkconfig and there is seems where the grub has become hidden is there some file I need to edit to unhide grub at boot, or can I force manjaro to boot a older kernel please.

See Steps 8 to 10

Do these.

[edit] - add the intel variables (what are these?) to /etc/default/grub before doing update-grub.
& use GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu of course.

Hi

I booted a usb architect key and managed to rebuild grub, but still the hidden grub screen during boot, I have to run a mkconfig to get the macbook pro 17. in the /etc/grub.d/ can I delete the hidden 01 file and do a mkconfig then

Is this there in /etc/default/grub ?
And did you clear out grubenv ?

Have you tried sudo grub-editenv - unset menu_auto_hide

Source:

Hi Sandrito

I have tried the above command, vut did not work, still get a blank screen. Pressing shift, esc, tab does not work on the macbook

ok I did a update and grub showed itself back after the installation, but itlost my macbook video card settings for grub, when I did a mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg after a boot lost my grub screen, I guess I am missing a setting somewhere to show grub during boot process

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.