Missing file in 4.19.251-1 package

I upgraded this morning. During the upgrade this error appeared for the 4.19 kernel.

==> Generating module dependencies
install: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO/modules.builtin.modinfo': No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /tmp/mkinitcpio.Wf9WeD/root/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory

It appears to be a missing file. The upgrade finished ok, but Im not sure if this is going to cause problems once I reboot.

Edit: Just rebooted, it appears to be working. Sadly with my ancient hardware I need the 4.19 or I get constant Nvidia driver issues.

1 Like

Do you really need 4.19?

Do you have linux419-headers installed?

Edit: Ah well, you have nvidia, so I don’t know anything about this.

I didnt, but I just installed them and the error appeared again.
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory

It didnt show for the other later kernels I have installed during the first upgrade. It just looks like a missing file the packager will have to look into.

It might be an issue with mkinitcpio: Fix the warning about missing modules.builtin.modinfo by yan12125 · Pull Request #109 · archlinux/mkinitcpio · GitHub

The link you provided shows the modules.builtin.modinfo file needs to be added. Not sure if this is an upstream issue, or if Manjaro creates its own kernel packages. Either way the file, and one more in that link, modules.order need to be added. It doesnt look like something that end users can easily fix. It doesnt seem to be causeing any problems right now, I was just posting to make people aware of the issue.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but maybe this could help:

most likely fixed via this: [config] enable MODVERSIONS (84c67544) · Commits · Packages / Core / linux419 · GitLab

Hmm, seems that feature might have been added with Kernel 5.2. Adding a blank file might be a workaround or I check if there is a backport available …

As of commit 898490c010b [moduleparam: Save information about built-in
modules in separate file] (kernels v5.2-rc1+), modules.builtin.modinfo
is generated as part of the kernel build process.

[phil@development unstable]$ sudo pacman -Fly linux419 | grep modinfo
linux419 usr/lib/modules/4.19.252-3-MANJARO/modules.builtin.modinfo

Is fixed now.

2 Likes

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.