❓ About GPU passthrough

Hello all, I’ve been trying to get a VM of windows running so I A: have an easier time gaming, B: don’t have to restart my computer, and have to use a barebones windows setup where I primarily game

I had many issues with virtual box just running, I moved on to Virtual Machine Manager, and it looks like league will not run unless I enable GPU passthrough, which I’d want anyway. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out how to enable that, I’ve followed guides, temporarily had black screens at boot, no luck.

Before I sink more time in this, am I even able to do it. I think I should have integrated graphics on my CPU: i3-10100, but plugging the monitor in to that slot displays nothing and system settings doesn’t see the monitor there. My only other graphics card besides integrated is my MSI Nvidia GTX 1050Ti.
Am I right in understanding that for GPU passthrough, I need 2 graphics, so in my case integrated and the dedicated, and that when I enable it, my manjaro install will no longer use the GTX 1050Ti for anything but VM’s?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Correct :+1:

So with that said, I have a problem since when I plug the monitor into the motherboard instead of the graphic card, nothing displays right?

You can start a new topic for problems with your integrated graphics card not displaying anything :wink:
When you Passthrough a device it should not be initialized at all by your OS itself, the OS inside the VM should do the initializing.
You can read about that in articles related to that topic, like @codesardine linked to.
There are many more on the internet.

Got ya, I never realized until now that that was a problem, it’s not like I’ve had to use integrated graphics yet. Thanks!

So I’ve seen a video that runs through steps like that but I double checked them, so I just ran through those steps from them until you run “lspci -nnk”, but it’s still using nvidia, do I need to uninstall nvidia, it sounds like I should temporarily put this on the back burner, it’s sounding like if this did work, I wouldn’t have a display in manjaro since integrated graphics isn’t displaying anything.

Make your integrated display work first, because when performing the needed config, your Manjaro won’t initialize or use the nVidia card anymore…

So here’s the setup,
2 Monitors

Monitor 1(Secondary on the left): Using VGA2HDMI on Dedicated
Monitor 2(Primary larger better): Using DispalyPort on Dedicated

For this to work I’m thinking I have a hdmi cord on a different input of the monitor so it’d be like source 1 is manjaro, source 2 is windows. If I do it that way am I supposed to be uninstalling my nvidia drivers first or just try to follow those guided again, I only ask because currently I’ve had weird things happen between the monitors when both are plugged in and I think it’s because manjaro is trying to use the gtx 1050?

So I now have intel on board running the two monitors, but when I follow every guide im seeing on isolating the GPU, it just outputs

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] [10de:1c82] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:3351]
Kernel modules: nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fb9] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:3351]
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

So it’s not using vfio like it should, do I make a new post now that I’ve gotten a lot closer or still no, I just don’t get what the problem is

It’s been ages since i did any PCI-Passthrough for GPU sharing in a VM.
My current system only has one GPU so i won’t be able to assist you step-by-step in this journey.
I can however provide you with my bookmarks i made back then wrt the topic…

VGAPassthrough:

SOLVED: Apparenttly I needed to enable VIRT-D on the bios, which is different from virtualization for the cpu and is specifically for the GPU I guess

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.