Minimal installation on PC

A custom ISO is certainly an option:

I’ve not done this but in theory you could make a new profile with no DE/WM and use that as a base?

And in theory you can build it from any device even a cellphone with the help of GitHub :smiley:

Edit your own modified profile and that’s it.

2 Likes

Hanzel, omano thanks :+1:

1 Like

mh… it is not my system, but a backup server should have software installed software which is fixed and constant for years. So choosing a rolling release for this, is in my opinion a bad practice. But who am I?

Anyway, there is everything said already, what can be done.

You are absolutely right for production environment, but for home use is good enough.
I called it “backup server” but it’s not. It simply extra backup space on another machine to use with rsync.
omano’s presentation is really good - surly I’ll try to build own iso.

Bye

The profiles repo already contains an iso for a minimal install

buildiso -p architect
1 Like

Its not necessary to build the iso. All SbK spins include architect to build custom installs. They can be found in the Spins section of the forum.

1 Like

I didn’t think of that - in fact every ISO can be made into a custom installer

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S manjaro-architect

Then run the installer

setup

Hi omano :slight_smile:
I cloned both repos and build iso just for test from xfce profile, it worked fine for me.
Then I thought, grub profile is similar to that I want to achieve then… in this repo I replaced default
Packages_(Root|Live) files with links to this ones from shared directory. Adapted profile.conf and started…
unfortunately 2nd try wasn’t successful.
build-release job ended with 255 und “error: target not found: grub-quiet”.

Maybe adapting from grub profile was wrong choice.
What do you think, when in adapt xfce profile in following way:
remove files:
Packages-Desktop
Packages-Mhwd
Remove dir:
desktop-overlay
then adapt (set display manager to none, check extra, etc) profile.conf
and GO
Should it work, is it right way - or ?

That’s probably better to open a new thread about a new topic if you need help for specific configuration for building ISO. I’m not really aware of all the process involved.

Thanks.
OK, but first I will try by myself.

I saw this one, but last commit is from six months ago. I though it is outdated. Maybe I am wrong but architect’s installer is in text mode, isn’t it . My goal to achieve is: install with calamares basic system (without desktop).

Thanks I’ll consider it as plan B :slight_smile:

That will be difficult - although not impossible - as Calamares is a GUI installer and the final system is extracted from running system.

Isn’t a customized ISO profile easy and the way to go?

You are right - but calamares is gui app and OP want as CLI environment as the result.

You need a windowmanager to run calamares which in turn requires X and drivers and …

You can create a customized Calamares - a netinstaller - which can install a given set of packages.

Much like EndeavourOS has done.

Or you could move the Xorg part to the Live-Packages section - which would provide a GUI only in the live session - the install phase could then be boiled down to what ever packagtes and services desired.

1 Like

I correct myself.

I couldn’t resist the urge to try this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually did it - created a gui installer for cli only system - and it was easier than anticipated - I took only 10 minutes to modify the iso-profile and another 10 to build it - piece of :cupcake: IMO.

For those who like adventures (very rough slapped together with no regards to the visual) if you download and test - remember it is very simple - more like Proof Of Concept than for actual use

2 Likes

Hi linux-aarhus, great job :+1:
your work will not go in vain - I’ll surly try this iso
but … first of all.
I’ve build architect iso just like you advised and then installed to test on vm.
All worked fine for me - thank you, thank all others too.
I think this thread can be closed.

Summary:
Yes, one can build custom minimal iso with architect profile and advises like in earlier mentioned YT video.
“For those who like adventures” as bonus your findings with calamares :slight_smile:

Just mark the comment which is the closest to answer your question - the topic will close 3 days after last comment.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.