Minecraft crashes on launch and goes back to launcher

I have java-14-openjdk installed and the java executable is set to bundled. I installed the launcher with the command trizen -S minecraft-launcher.

I had this issue too, i see you are playing on 1.8.9 i cant quite remember what version ofjava i used to fix this but i will try and find it for you. Can you also please run java -version

For me older that 1.12.2 crashes

java -version returns this:

openjdk version "14.0.1" 2020-04-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14.0.1+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.1+7, mixed mode)

Nope, just tried 1.12.2 and it crashes again with the same error.

Is there some log file I can check?

I have had this issue and the fix is actually pretty simple.

All you need to do is switch from java 14 to java 8 and then you will be good. I cannot remember where I got the commands to do that, but I will edit this comment if I do.

Edit: Ok, so what I did to fix this was to install jre8-openjdk Then type archlinux-java status to see the versions of java that are installed. I cannot remember if java 8 will appear after you install it, but assuming it does, then type in archlinux-java set java-8-openjdk and you should be good to go

1 Like

Yes, you can't use newer Java versions with older Minecraft versions.

You can change it system-wide with the command archlinux-java. However, you don't need to do that. The minecraft launcher lets you pick a Java version for each profile so you can use the newer Java for the newer versions and the older version for the older versions.

If you need to install it you can do so with

pamac install jre8-openjdk

Yoo, thank you so much everyone, it worked!

Forum kindly sponsored by