Migration from arch

archlinux
migration

Hi,

once more I had trouble to install manjaro via DVD. On my new Acer Travelmate with external USB DVD the installation once more failed with “could not start login session”. I tried every option I could think of but nothing helped.

So what should I do? I installed arch-anywhere and migrated this to manjaro. It worked just fine. And the migration just takes a few minutes.

I installed arch-anywhere with cinnamon desktop. For the manjaro migration I used an existing manjaro installation on another PC as reference. The steps were:

1. Copy /etc/pacman.conf and /etc.pacman.d/ from the reference PC to the arch PC.
  2. pacman -Syyu This gives a whole bunch of messages saying that newer packages are already installed. Just ignoring them for now. Other than that it wants to upgrade cinnamon. Interesting enough: arch is still on cinnamon 3.2 :wink: Anyways, I did not update anything at this point. Just wanted to see what it would do.
  3. install pacman and the manjaro kernel. linux411 in my case. If you have proprietary drivers installed like nvidia, you want to replace them right here as well.
  4. remove the arch kernel: pacman -R linux linux-headers
  5. install grub
  6. remove /etc/default/grub (from arch) and replace it with /etc/default/grub.pacnew from the newly install grub
  7. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  8. grub-install /dev/sdx
  9. remove /etc/skel and /etc/os-release from the arch machine. They are interferring with the package downgrades coming later.
  10. get a list of all installed manjaro packages from the reference PC: pacman -Q | grep manjaro
  11. install all manjaro packages on the arch PC
  12. last but not least downgrade all other arch packages: pacman -Syyuu
  13. ready to boot

The laptop works just fine. Everything is up-to-date.

Matthias

Migration from Antergos to Manjaro

I would not recommend this to anyone, at any time.

There are far too many differences between Arch (and Arch-Anywhere?) and Manjaro to make this worthwhile for ordinary users. It would be far easier and far cleaner to save user data and do a new installation of Manjaro.

I say this as a (relatively) long-term user of both.

The above should be used as a last resort.

Disagree? It’s your right.

regards

I thought, Manjaro’s main point is to have Arch without going through a complex installation and configuration process. :slight_smile:

Nope. That’s Antergos main point. Manjaro’s additional advantage to Antergos is having its own repositories which are meant to offer an extra layer of stability to the system. I’d say this is the main selling point of Manjaro.

I thought it was the great theming and hardware detection? :grinning:

Looks like it’s much more a matter of taste than I thought. :slight_smile:

As long as the manjaro installer is having this damn “failed to start login service” issue I have no other option. I would have loved to install native manjaro. But it simply does not work. From my point of view this is a major short coming of manjaro. Actually the other Linux distro I tested are booting just fine from DVD: debian, mint (ubuntu and LMDE), arch. The manjaro installer is basically not competitive.

Anyways, based on your experience: Which pitfalls do you see? Which packages or configs should I doublecheck after this migration?

Matthias

THAT should have been the problem you posted about, rather than some convoluted work around from arch to manjaro via arch-anywhere. Because I can virtually guarantee nobody else has done that, or would do that.

There are many hits in google for a search of
failed to start login service manjaro

Try manjaro-architect. Turning an Arch install into a Manjaro is possible, but what for? In your list you forgot to import manjaro-keyring, for instance.

Yup. And I think for the failed to start login service manjaro error, it needs to reinstall the filesystem…

Then that is what you should have stated. We can help you with that. If Arch-Anywhere will boot for you, so will Manjaro.

As far as, [quote=“mbod, post:7, topic:26079”]
Anyways, based on your experience: Which pitfalls do you see? Which packages or configs should I doublecheck after this migration?
[/quote]

I could not begin. The Arch & Manjaro Forums are full of such tales. Where to begin? I would say on the Arch-Anywhere forums.

respect

I stated this in the first paragraph. And when you read through this forum you will find several other people reporting the same issue. Example: I can find a report for manjaro 16.08 which is 9 month old:

No help so far for this issue. It would help if manjaro would provide a text only installer. I think manjaro-architect is going in that direction. But it does not seem to be mature.

By the way, arch-anywehere is a text based arch installer. Not a separate distro.

I would be happy to reinstall the laptop with a clean manjaro but I can not experiement. The laptop is busy with my daughter.

Matthias

manjaro-architect is extensively tested. It should at worst give a working base system, but it usually gives a system which is the same as installed with the official installer.

I am willing to give manjaro-architect a try.

The laptop does not have LAN but just WLAN. The arch-anywhere installer could handle that. Is manjaro-architect coming with WLAN support as well?

Matthias

As in tutorial above run nmtui to connect to wifi. Edit: or does it get run automatically? You can use any live ISO, not necessarily the dedicated CLI ISO.

I remember that on my 17.01 installation I chose non-free specifically so the wifi dongle would be reacheable during installation as I had no lan available at the time. At least Manjaro gave me that option ahead of time, unlike distros that you have to add such non-free firmware after installation.

Yes, architect prompts you for connection and walks you through setup :slight_smile:

Just for the records: The manjaro-architect installation worked for my laptop.

Only inconvenience so far: It took me several retries to connect to WLAN at the beginning of the installation. Dont know why. I double checked the password every time.

Matthias