Migrating services from Windows and need recommendations

You know that exiv2 read not only exif? Please check what is available on the problematic files…

exiv2 -Pkyct picture.png
2 Likes

XnViewMP?

It has a bulk conversion tool which I’ve used many times on Manjaro. It has an option to preserve the modification times and EXIF metadata.

You can choose variables by clicking the “Play” button, such as EXIF → Photo Taken, Date → Modification Time, etc, which will be used in the new filename.

1 Like

I have used fslint - there is also a GUI version.
But, from what I remember, it was getting old and no longer maintained.
But it is in the AUR.

A more modern version is a strangely named program called
czkawa (polish, I think, for what it does)

GitHub - qarmin/czkawka: Multi functional app to find duplicates, empty folders, similar images etc.

here is all the versions in AUR:

AUR (en) - Packages

I’d go for the czkawa-gui-bin (no compilation necessary)

HTH

ps:
sorry that I seem to have replied to @megavolt - it was of course intended for the OP @Undertaker666

1 Like

It’s an outstanding application with a horrible name. It translates to “hiccup”. It’s such a pain to search for it by name, nor does its name give any clue to what it actually does. At least “FSlint” has the word “lint” in it. Cswqesjaka? I mean, Ckaazw. I mean, Chexzka. Um, Czkawka gives no clues, and even its translation is meaningless: “hiccup”

WHAT DOES “HICCUP” HAVE TO DO WITH REMOVING DUPLICATES AND TEMP FILES? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

yeah, the choice of name is not the best promotion for that very good piece of software :wink:

2 Likes

I assumed it was, since every other piece of software I encountered so far was very specific in its scope. It’s my bad to assume so.

I’ve tried rmlint, it’s nice, granted it did not find much, which does not mean there isn’t much to find. I’ll try the other software you suggested.

It just incorporates XnConvert into XnView.

that’s the only thing I found in the rename section.
Plus, I have an issue with most of the suggested programs that they can not use a share as a location for their operation. That’s a bit annoying.

P.S. I will update the first post with the software I selected for each category.

Just a notice worth, but must be written:

Consider that there are not exact the same tools with the same features as on windows. In most cases especially when it comes to videos and photos you will experience a downgrade of what you have used on Windows.

It is simply due to the fact that in the mainstream, photo and video editing are more likely to be done on Windows or Mac. That is a weakness on the Platform “Linux”, which has just the minimum of support in most cases.

You know that Linux shines in server applications and the terminal and at the GUI most things are doable. But for the extra luxury user experience on the desktop: Windows and Mac have just far better support from the developers as Linux itself.

Maybe in the past there was little movement towards that issue and there were great improvements in some areas, but Windows and Mac are still beyond of Linux when it comes to Desktops.

2 Likes

Well I installed this program, it did not find any scanners, so I just spent 2 hours researching how to connect to a brother network scanner on Manjaro with no real results…

Just tested it, works great and superfast. Only problem is I’ll have to copy the files to the VM, edit them and send them back because losslesscut does not see network locations. It’s the same issue I had with other programs as well. Most of the data I need to work on is in a network share.

Then create network mountpoint… at #contributions:tutorials you will find what you need.

Again brother :see_no_evil: Better create new topic for that if you feel the need of guidance.

2 Likes

I tried this before, but I’ll look into it again, thanks.

It’s just the scanner, because the printer part works.

Sadly, one of the things I tested caused the VM to stop booting to desktop, and only show a blinking cursor… now to back track and see what caused that.
EDIT: it was my try to get VNC working. Deleted the file in X11, and it’s booting again.

That’s a different part of the program.

Did you go to Tools → Batch Convert?

As I said, that’s XnConvert just built-in to XnView. And it does not have full control of the output like a renamer. If only I could get one of the Windows renamers to work with WINE, that would solve it.

You don’t have these options in the Batch Convert tool?

I do, but I cannot control how the date is formatted after it’s inserted. It just dumps it in the file name.

There’s also “Date Format Variables” near the top of the list, for more fine-tuning granularity.

Thanks, sorry, it looks like I’ve taken on a bit more than I thought at first. So many programs, with so much manual fixing and coaxing. I really appreciate your patience and help!

UPDATE:
XnConvert just freezes and does not work, so I am back to looking for an alternative for that and the rest of the things.

There’s still the extra fields and options using XnViewMP.

I’m still unsure what it is incapable of providing for your use-case?

Oh, I meant the converting part, not the renaming part. I want to convert while preserving EXIF and other metadata. If I won’t be able to find something, I’ll bite the bullet and install gimp just for bimp.