Migrating services from Windows and need recommendations

Hello, I’m migrating a machine that I ran certain tasks on that ran Windows 10, to a virtual machine running Manjaro XFCE.

Now most of the stuff I found alternatives for, however, there are a few areas that I could not find a suitable replacement or run the original software under WINE.

I would appreciate it if you could suggest suitable alternatives to the following programs.

1. Ant Renamer/Renamer:
    A. Task—Rename image files based on the date the image was taken.
    B. Things I tested - KRenamer, does what I want but has no way to save presets for future use. Various other Renamers, most either did not have the feature to access the EXIF data and use it in the rename, or lacked other features such as batch operations.
    Created a bash script that does this. Will share if anyone is interested.

2. XnConvert (I know about the flatpak version and use it)
    A. Task—convert images from JPEG to PNG while preserving creation date and other data. Saving the PNGs must have the feature to compress to level 9 as a setting.
    B. Things I tested—ImageMagick, did not find a way to preserve EXIF data, and from what I read it’s not in the scope. As I mentioned I am working with the flatpak version of XnConvert, but it’s quite old, has hung up on me once, but other than that it’s useable.
    EDIT: Will continue to use XnConvert.
    EDIT2: the script from 1 also converts nicely.

3. Media Manager (Ember Media)
    Have not searched for an alternative for this one or tried to run it under WINE, but if there’s something better, please feel free to let me know.
    MediaElch is the winner.

4. Scanning tool (NAPS2)
    Like number 3, did not get to research this one.
    XSANE, has a lot of options, and the output is rather small.

5. A duplicate file (image video or other) finding program
    EDIT: will use rmlint which is quite nice and easy to use.

6. Video Editor (VSDC)

And Lastly: 7. A muxer (Used to add audio streams to videos without re-encoding them.)
EDIT: will use losslesscut which is quite nice and easy to use.

I am sorry, I started with a couple of things I already searched for but could not find, but then more came up.

Thanks in advance to all of you, and have a great day!

Just putting this here.
https://alternativeto.net/platform/linux/

Recommendations is off-topic because they are personal opinions - do your own research and decide what to implement.

If you plan on dual-booting

Maintenance

Custom packages

Yeah, I am a member of that site, and a contributor when I can. Most of the alternatives are either discontinued or for Debian based systems.

Thanks anyway!

But it’s not just recommendations, it’s replacements. And I was hoping that instead of me going through a ton of software for each category, I would bask in the wisdom of experienced users who already searched for those things. And would like to share their findings with me.

It’s not because a DEB package is the only one available in the project that the application is specifically for Debian-based distributions. Most packages on Arch/Manjaro are compiled from source anyway…

Also, if you don’t find such packages in Manjaro’s repositories – actually the main place to find a package to install, rather than the project’s page – AUR contains many more.

Yeah, I already search AURs and Flatpaks as other sources. My post is even with these options I could not find suitable replacements.

For most of them, that’s exactly the case.

Considering the first two are related to image files, you should also look at image managers. They might have those features bundled in.

Why not just stick with Windows 10, then? Your use-case is very specific.

Which ones do bulk actions in Manjaro?

Because it’s very resource heavy to run as a VM, and there’s no point maintaining a whole OS for a few simple tasks. I am planning to have another VM for Windows specific tasks, but I want to delegate as much as I can to Manjaro because it’s easier to run and boot to if I need.

Maybe use a photo manager for this task and just use the export function? Anyway… if you look for a GUI for reading exif-data and rename, you will not find any. Terminal Applications are available.

Maybe have look at this app: Smart File Renamer - Rename Multiple Files Easily! (it is free, but has locked features)

EDIT: Oh well while searching a bit I found a nice one: Inviska Rename … no idea what happens to the website… but seems the appimage is still there. It can save presets and handle exif data as you wished. https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/05/gui-to-batch-rename-files-on-linux-with.html Greetings goes to the blogger who saved the appimage on mega.nz … and yes it still works.

Why changing? It is a nativ linux application…

Looks pretty much like simple-scan

I prefer rmlint, but fslint is also good.

No idea about that. If it comes to professional video editing then linux software is far behind windows. Only davinci resolve can be promoted as feature complete editing suite, anything is else works for simple things: kdenlive, openshot, shotcut, etc…

I use losslesscut mostly for that. It does the job pretty well for me.

First off, thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

Nope, I don’t care if it’s terminal only, it’s even better if I can script it in a bash script. But as I mentioned, I only found ImageMagick and that does not deal with EXIF.

It limits the number of times you can rename. Thanks, but I’ll keep looking.

I found the source Git
it is 2 years old, I’ll give it a try later. thanks.

Right now? It was a one time hang, but overall it looks like it’s less maintained than the Windows version.

Thanks, will check it out.

Thanks.

That looks more like a candidate for 6, but I’ll check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well then… have look at exiv2. It is widely used…

Here a full list of of compatibility:

Type   Exif         IPTC         XMP          Image Comments          ICC Profile
       ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       ARW    Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       AVIF   Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       BMP    -            -            -            -                       -
       CR2    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       CR3    Read         Read         Read         -                       Read
       CRW    Read/Write   -            -            Read/Write              -
       DNG    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       EPS    -            -            Read/Write   -                       -
       EXV    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write Read/Write
       GIF    -            -            -            -                       -
       HEIC   Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       HEIF   Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       JP2    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       JPEG   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write              Read/Write
       MRW    Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       NEF    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       ORF    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       -
       PEF    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       PGF    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write              Read/Write
       PNG    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write              Read/Write
       PSD    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       -
       RAF    Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       RW2    Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       SR2    Read         Read         Read         -                       -
       SRW    Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       -
       TGA    -            -            -            -                       -
       TIFF   Read/Write   Read/Write   Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       WEBP   Read/Write   -            Read/Write   -                       Read/Write
       XMP    -            -            Read/Write   -                       -

So with that in mind, you need to study this tool because it can be really overwhelming because it has really lots possibilities…

Basically it goes like that:

1. Export exif data.
  2. Convert jpg to png (convert of "imagemagick ")
  3. Replace exif data of png.

But that describes what XnConvert already does, which software renames the png based on the exif data?

I thought you want to convert a jpg to png and copy exif data also? Yes it definitely does already that, you were looking for a replacement and here we are.

exiv2 … most likely XnConvert uses the exiv2 library.

Example:

exiv2 -r '%y%m%d-%H%M%S_topic' -F rename filename.png
1 Like

So theoretically, I can run this in a folder and all the files would be renamed based on the template? Let’s say YYYYMMDD-HHmm-OGfilename.png ?

yes…

cd folder
exiv2 -r '%y%m%d-%H%M%S_topic' -F rename *.png

But better test it for yourself first with non-critical files. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much, I was not actually asking for you to write the exact formula for me, I’m capable enough to do that myself, but thanks for going the extra mile!

2 Likes

Just tested it, turns out some files don’t have EXIF data to begin with, what’s the best way to get the date the file was created for those?

EDIT: just tried inviskarename (which is also on Windows) and it does not have all the features necessary for the desired operation, like sequencing tasks.

Without EXIF metadata embedded within the file itself, you’re only left with the timestamps according to the filesystem. Technically, the most accurate timestamp is “modified”, rather than “birthed”, “created”, or “accessed”. This is because a file’s “modification time” carries over to other filesystems when the file is copied or transferred. Whereas, the other timestamps are a lower-level of the filesystem itself.

This is why it’s very common to see a “modified” time that is of an earlier date than it’s “creation” time. (Which seems like a paradox.) :wink:

Yeah, I’ve run into that before, the question now is which tool can give me both functionalities, if it exists.