Might Switch Linux Distro - Some Software I Need - How To Install?

Hi,

Looking to switch Linux distro at this time.
Taking a second look at Manjaro.
I installed Manjaro KDE & xfce 64Bit into a VirtualBox virtual machine.

I see most of the software I use is available.
What I don’t see is below:

• Google Chrome browser
  • Microsoft Skype

There might be more to the list above, but how would I install the above two on Manjaro?
Let me know, thanks!

Jesse

Both are in the AUR.

1 Like

Hi,

How would I install those in AUR?
Completely new to the Arch system of installing things…

Jesse

Some info on the AUR: Arch User Repository - Manjaro

Also if you are new a quick intro Manjaro Manjaro - Manjaro

and get used to the The Rolling Release Development Model - Manjaro

3 Likes

The simplest way of installing software from the AUR is to open https://aur.archlinux.org/ and search for what you want, then run

pamac build google-chrome # replace 'google-chrome' with the name of the package

If you don’t want to use the terminal, you can open the Add/remove software application, open the settings, go to the AUR tab, and enable it. After that, the search results should include results from the AUR. For Skype, you actually have two versions, a preview and stable build, so you need to decide.

Of course, please be aware of the risks of using AUR before doing anything.

4 Likes

I’d say the noobest way of installing is to hit the menu and type ‘add’ to get the software tool open, then start typing ‘sky…’ until Skype appears.

Now you should see options for Skype (Snap) and a few (Repositories) options as well as a few (Aur) items.

At the top, there are two tabs:
View [All] and Sort by [Relevance] and this is where the fun starts:

First option looks friendly - with an icon, and it’s a Snap. I don’t like snap so I click View on to Repositories

Click ‘View’ to AUR and you’ll see it there too - the Stable/Release as well as the Preview/Insider versions. These need to be built…

2 Likes

2 versions of Skype available in AUR

$ pamac search skypeforlinux
    skypeforlinux-preview-bin                                     8.69.76.21-1  AUR 
        Skype for Linux - Preview/Insider Version
    skypeforlinux-stable-bin                                      8.67.0.96-1   AUR 
        Skype for Linux - Stable/Release Version
1 Like

aha, so you need to know to search ‘skypeforlinux’ and not just skype.
It isn’t very straightforward TBH for someone looking for ‘microsoft skype’ who will 100% sure search for ‘skype’.
My sympathies.

❯ pamac search skype
toxcore-toktok-git                                                                                     1:0.2.7.4536-1      AUR 
Secure, configuration-free, P2P Skype replacement backend
toxcore-static2                                                                                        1:0.2.2-1           AUR 
toxcore-static1                                                                                        1:0.1.11-1          AUR 
sky                                                                                                    2.1.7772-1          AUR 
Lync and Skype for Business client on Linux
silos                                                                                                  0.1.55-1            AUR 
Web-app container, with multimedia apps (YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, VVVVID, and RaiPlay),
productivity suites (Microsoft Office 365, Skype, Google Office, Trello, and Gmail), and others
(WhatsApp web and Wikipedia)
linphone-plugin-mssilk                                                                                 1.1.1-1             AUR 
Linphone / mediastreamer plugin that enables Skype's SILK audio codec
hdx-realtime-media-engine-sap                                                                          2.2.100-1           AUR 
Plug-In for Citrix Receiver to support clear, crisp high-definition audio-video calls,
particularly with Microsoft Skype® for Business. This version is for access.sap.com
compatibility.
hdx-realtime-media-engine                                                                              2.9.200-0           AUR 
Plug-In for Citrix Receiver to support clear, crisp high-definition audio-video calls,
particularly with Microsoft Skype® for Business.
silo-skype                                                                                             0.2-1               AUR 
Standalone silo app for Skype
purple-skypeweb-git                                                                                    1.5.r10.90007bf-1   AUR 
SkypeWeb Plugin for Pidgin
purple-skypeweb                                                                                        1.7-1               community 
SkypeWeb Plugin for Pidgin
ghetto-skype-git                                                                                       1.6.0+7+g5ae7d28-1  AUR 
This is an electron client that uses Web Skype to better integrate with desktop environments
found on Linux.
ghetto-skype                                                                   
Web Skype + Tray Icon + Notifications
skyperious                                                                     
Skype SQLite database viewer and merger
skypeforlinux-stable-bin                                                       
skypeforlinux-stable-bin                                                       
skypeforlinux-preview-bin                                                      
Skype for Linux - Preview/Insider Version
skype4py                                                                       
Skype4py
skype-web-jak                                                                  
wrapper for Skype online services
skype-secure                                                                   
Restricting Skype for Linux access
skype-lang-hu                                                                  
Hungarian language files for skype
skype-electron                                                                 
An Electron Skype app designed for use on Linux systems
skype-call-recorder                                                            
Record Skype calls to MP3, Ogg Vorbis or WAV files
pamac build skypeforlinux-stable-bin
1 Like

This isn’t bad advice.
To make it ‘simple’ there are two initial approaches. One is to simply search net (duckduckgo is nice) and search ‘manjaro install skype’. However, it’s not the best… first results go with downloading and building from git… that sucks a bit.

Second option is to search for ‘aur skype’ for which my first result is ‘skypeforlinux-stable-bin’ and that’s golden.

From that information, you can open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and type pamac install skypeforlinux-stable-bin and you’re finished.

At first I feared that with Manjaro I must live without Skype, then I saw in the AUR repository a disencourageing list of unknown packages named …skype…

ben81’s command is simple and it worked.

In 2021-Nov I re-installed Manjaro and found out that the command

pamac install skypeforlinux-stable-bin

does not work anymore. However, I found another way to obtain Skype:

snap install skype

Source of info: Install Skype on Linux | Snap Store

That’s because AUR packages are installed with pamac build instead of pamac install.

I believe you can find them in the AUR.
Run pamac-manager and enable AUR.

You’ll find them easily.