Microsoft Office Online installed by default ?!?

ms-office

There are Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Onenote app online in whisker menù… One drive missing

Manjaro XFCE v18.0 3rd Beta-Build [testing]

Puhh, even more for my blacklist.
I have nothing (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Onenote app online) in my whisker menu.

@andrea7even: simply start the MS-Office launcher. One-Drive is available there. We simply didn’t create yet a launcher for all available tools yet.

If you don’t like the launchers, you may do this: sudo pacman -R ms-office-online

[Stable Update] 2018-06-10 - Kernels, KDE Apps, LibreOffice, Firefox, GCC, Gambas, Deepin

+1 for removing m$ office online by default: one office suit (libreoffice) it’s enough, and for some of us “m$ products in a Linux distro” is pretty much a blasphemy.
Users that needs them could install them later.
Just a personal opinion.

And then you wonder in imbecilic amazement “why don’t more people use Linux?”

Removing such tool = we don’t want no beginners from MS-Windows… It is completely absurd if you want to help more people to use Linux distribution.

It will be like removing water to people who are thirsty… What a great idea… Or not!

manjaro’s goal is to meet the demand of these users not to please windows users!

With your logic, we should also install in iso wine? and we should use a windows theme to recruit at microsoft?

nothing absurd if office online is not present!

Manjaro is not a dictatorship and blocks this software, those who need it can easily install it.

So you think providing only free software can attract new users? Well, I completely disagree with that.

Follow your logic and ask for Steam removal. How many users will Manjaro lose with that removal?

You think as a technical user, not like the lambda one who only wants to run its software without looking for it. Lambda users just want to run software “out of the box”, not after installing them.

We have to stop thinking as technical users if we want to make free software distributions a tool for “I don’t care what a sofware is” users.

Just my $0.02 here.

The nice thing about free Linux is that you, almost, do justice to everyone.
So , you know what a special group of users need, make a ISO like KDE-mini …

No steam in XFCE pre-installed

No offense
“Lambda (*) users just want to run software “out of the box”” , I think, then they use MacOS :wink:
(*) me, deepl.com and startpage.com do not know what it is. Sorry.

@xabbu Google can be your friend :wink: thx for help :slight_smile:

Google knows, https://lwn.net/Articles/646777/

“any anonymous user with a random basic knowledge of the tool”

or a little bit different,

In French, “individu lambda” means “average individual”, in the sense of “layman”.

But I’m with you, I don’t think that Manjaro is the right choice for such a user.

Well… So what about this we can read here on this page: https://manjaro.org/about/

Available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, Manjaro is suitable for newcomers as well as experienced Linux users. For newcomers, a user-friendly installer is provided, and the system itself is designed to work fully ‘straight out of the box’

Are newcomers not this kind of “lambda users”, the “I just want to use my computer with linux” user ?

Just asking…

we’re clearly in the wrong subject to talk about this :sob:

I only gave my opinion and said that it is up to the users to decide.
steam, I never used it . as msoffice, if the manjaro users need it , ok for me. If it’s just to attract more windows people then no to both.
I am not allergic to Microsoft, but if a software (open source or not) is used by only 1% of manjaro users it does not have its place pre-installed. Marquetting reasons it didn’t for me

I do agree.

How many Manjaro users who were previous MS-Windows ones?

Nothing to add here too.

Well considering that I used to use Windows for games before Steam and GOG.com were available for Linux, I consider Valve releasing Steam and making a flood of games for Linux to a be a godspend.

We’re both dinosaurs, we’ve been with windows for 10…20 years. Today everything is different, young people can use linux from adolescence and I think they are more hooked by android and google than microsoft.

I stop, too much off topic

Indeed too much off topic. I won’t spend more time about your frenglish too :slight_smile:

See you.

Hey, the solution that will appeal to everyone: ask the user after a fresh install if he/she wants to add some extra “tools” like M$ Office suite… :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Sorry, but manjaro is simply not a place for such users, imho.

Not for those that do not know that/how you should check-n-merge config changes from pacnew files and are not willing to google that and/or read the update thread every single time.

You cannot really provide free support for such users. Again, imho.