Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2

there is announce form microsoft ,
and it's not good for desktop future linux
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-DXGKRNL-Uphill-Battle

1 Like

OMG! Everyone panic now!!!1
:scream: :scream: :scream_cat:

Actually, no, don't. It's just a name clash between M$ and KDE, as they both are using the same acronym for different things. :roll_eyes:

I think the article posted by op is/was the wrong one .
I read this one about GUI and GPU acceleration for WSL 2

1 Like

That won't change anything for Linux.

It might. Those who want to switch to Linux because of the apps might not anymore because Windows now support them. Although those who want to switch because of privacy or performance reasons would switch anyway.

LOL, nobody switches to Linux because of apps. :rofl:

1 Like

Extend. Embrace. Extinguish.

■■■■ you MicrUbuntu.

1 Like

Some machine learning stuff is only on Linux. I only initially stayed on Linux after trying it because apps like Dolphin are so damn much better than anything you can find on Windows.
This will indeed not change much for actual Linux users (except those that need to use Windows at work, those may benefit) but from the discussions it seems like MS is discussing open sourcing DirectX. That of course won't be as huge as some make it out to be but it would make DXVK and Wine devs work easier and make DX12 be implemented faster.

Yeah, DirectX becoming open source would be a good thing in the short run, because it would be possible to play Windows games on Linux using only Wine, i.e. without Proton and Steam.

In the long run, it might be detrimental, because it might lower the incentives to work on Vulkan and OpenGL.

Extend. Embrace. Extinguish is started
--> wayland & vulkan
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-Writing-Wayland-Comp

well one thing you can do
■■■■ the windows if app detects its running on wsl

1 Like

I guess I'll X11 until there's no more support and hopefully by then, robots have taken over and I can just live in the mountains bow hunting with my dog and wane out my earth days by the fire.

Exactly. That's why I don't think it would be a good. It may be precisely why they think about opensourcing it: they're loosing control over that market.

Forum kindly sponsored by