How to mirror the system drive?

Hello, all!

I need to replace my system SSD drive. I would like to do an exact mirror of the entire drive, include all partitions / sectors etc, so that I can simply swap out the old drive with the new drive, and have everything working like before.

nvme2n1 is my system drive:

$ lsblk 
NAME                                          MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
nvme2n1                                       259:0    0 232,9G  0 disk  
├─nvme2n1p1                                   259:1    0   300M  0 part  /boot/efi
└─nvme2n1p2                                   259:2    0 232,6G  0 part  
  └─luks-22c33ed5-bf14-4137-947e-ea101ee86678 254:0    0 232,6G  0 crypt /

I have a SSD enclosure that I plan to use for connecting the new SSD to my system via USB. Then, I plan to boot the system using a Live CD (USB).

I plan to mirror the entire drive using dd, like:

dd if=/dev/nvme2n1 of=/dev/sda bs=1M

Since this is a system drive, is there something else I need to be aware of?

Take into consideration the UUID and encryption. If you clone UUID and then at any point connect the 2 drives at the same time it will be a mess. If you change it - you will have to change the uuid in fstab and maybe grub if you use hibernate. And if you change it, i do not know if it will affect the encryption. Also, a grub reinstall maybe needed.
So if you are NOT going to connect old+new it is probably easier to clone as you intend. With the uuid.

1 Like

Good input. I completely forgot about the possible UUID confusion, and potential de-/encryption issues.

Using dd the UUID will be cloned (related superuser q&a). Hence, my new SSD will get the same UUID as my old drive and I do not need to change fstab nor grub as long as I will NOT use the old and new SSD at the same time.

I am not planning to use the two drives at the same time. So, no UUID problems should arise. And, if I by some reason should need to use the old drive I guess I can format it, to make sure it gets a new UUID.

If the old drive is still healthy, and not needed for something else, what I do is keep it to one side in case disaster strikes with the new one.

Thank you. The drive is still fine, and it is a good idea to keep a backup drive.

To elaborate: The problem is that I have a Samsung model: SSD 980 PRO 250GB drive. I am unable to do a firmware update, and the drive’s firmware has a critical problem, as discussed here. To be proactive I want to change my drive before it stops working.

1 Like

I have now successfully changed my system drive. I cloned it, after having booted using a “Live CD”, using dd. It was a good idea with some progress / status output, so I used the following command:

dd if=/dev/nvme2n1 of=/dev/sda bs=1M status=progress

All seems to be working perfectly fine!

For the cloning I attached the new SSD to the laptop using a SSD enclosure:

Then I swapped out the main SSD, and rebooted the system:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.