Crashpad excess with chromium

My Load Averagee (using Top) has increased recently from a lowish value to over 1 for long periods. Investigating I see a lot of Chromium CrashpadHandler references in Task Manager - currently about 15. This seems excessive and is, I think, contributing to my low memory value - currently about 2250 free from total 14000 (swap is 25400 free from 32800) and a highish swap rate.

Is there a good reason for so many crashpad processes running for a single instance of Chromium with 4 tabs?

I have browsed the internet and can only find a few useul mentions of crashpad, none of which seems to address my problem.

Is it possible to disable crashpadhandler in chromium? the internet suggests only by recompiling it.

I just looked at all my chromium / google-chrome processes. They all run with the --crashpad-handler=pid=XXX command line switch. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m ok with that, it’s the quantity of processes I’m concered about.

I’ve checked this on a debian OS. Similar quantity but with a load average of 30 when quiescent instead of over 40. Still seems a lot.

Anyone know of a decent web browser that does not concume all the resources? Anything with webkit is just as bad and firefox is simply bloated.

One factor is Google doesn’t seem to care about hardware acceleration on GNU / Linux. Sometimes it may work with additional flags, sometimes not. I gave up, myself. You may have better results with Firefox, though it may require researching what flags might be needed. I haven’t looked in awhile, so not sure if anything additional needs to be done anymore.

Resources:

Thanks. I know google is often rubbish for non-google users but I hoped chromium may have been more de-googled than it apparently has been. :frowning:

For most browsing I use Falkon. It does not work with a few sites but most are ok - I have a dozen or so windows with several tabs each. Sadly, there seems to be a problem with webkit in debian, so for that and, to a lesser extent manjaro, back to chromium or firefox, both of which are bloated beyond reason now. (I’m writing this in firefox.)

Good luck finding one.

You might try Vivaldi, however. Although it’s a dirivitive of chromium, it’s built with the ethos of Opera (proper) at heart, and may surprise you.

Thanks but I tried it a couple of years ago and didn’t like it - I think it had similar resource over-use, if I remember right.

You might also consider the DuckDuckGo browser (a relatively recent addition to the market-scape). I suggest this only by virtue of the fact that it promises a security-first approach, and delivers. In itself, that might counter-balance any perceived resource hunger.

Thanks. I use the SE but the browser does not seem to be available for linux at pesent.

Well, that’s disappointing; everything but Linux.