Mhwd trying to install outdated version of driver

Context: Today, I update a bunch of packages (I would love to say which ones but, I don’t know how to tell that). At the moment of the installation a message pop-up telling something about nvidia drivers, I really haven’t pay to much attention to the message and hit close and continue with my day. Installation goes smooth like always and ask me to reboot my machine, I do so, but now manjaro won’t boot at all. I manage to boot Manjaro from a USB and use the manjaro-chroot to go into my system? (idk if this is the correct way to say it, sorry, still a noob). Then I use the following command to reinstall my nvidia drivers:

sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia

I use the -f -i flags to force the re installation. This was the output:

Removing video-nvidia...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies...
:: ffmpeg optionally requires nvidia-utils: Nvidia NVDEC/NVENC support
:: gst-plugins-bad optionally requires nvidia-utils: nvcodec plugin
:: lib32-vulkan-icd-loader optionally requires lib32-vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
:: mangohud optionally requires libxnvctrl: support for older NVIDIA GPUs
:: steam-manjaro optionally requires vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
:: steam-manjaro optionally requires lib32-vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver (32bit)
:: steam-native optionally requires vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
:: steam-native optionally requires lib32-vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver (32bit)
:: vulkan-icd-loader optionally requires vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: eglexternalplatform will be removed after its nvidia-utils dependency

Packages (6) egl-wayland-2:1.1.9+r3+g582b2d3-1  eglexternalplatform-1.1-2  lib32-nvidia-utils-495.46-1  libxnvctrl-495.46-1.0  linux414-nvidia-495.46-6  nvidia-utils-495.46-3

Total Removed Size:  582.99 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 
:: Processing package changes...
removing linux414-nvidia...
removing lib32-nvidia-utils...
xorg configuration symlink valid...
removing nvidia-utils...
xorg configuration symlink valid...
removing egl-wayland...
removing eglexternalplatform...
removing libxnvctrl...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/5) Reloading system manager configuration...
  Skipped: Running in chroot.
(2/5) Reloading device manager configuration...
  Skipped: Running in chroot.
(3/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(4/5) Updating module dependencies...
(5/5) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf' symlink is invalid! Removing it...
> Successfully removed video-nvidia
> Installing video-nvidia...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
 community downloading...
 multilib downloading...
 sublime-text downloading...
error: target not found: linux513-nvidia
Error: pacman failed!

The important part is where it claims:

error: target not found: linux513-nvidia

Is trying to install the 5.13 Version of the linux-nvidia driver. BUT, thing is, i’m not running that version of the kernel.

sh-5.1# uname -r
5.15.12-1-MANJARO

uname -r reveals 5.15 Version. Is there something that I’m missing out here? So far I’ve try:

• Reinstalling the mhwd-db:
sudo pacman -S mhwd-db
  • Manually installing the 5.15 Version of linux-nvidia:
    With this, my problem is that I don’t know is this is a real solution. But it installed without problems.
sudo pacman -S linux515-nvidia
  • Updating the pacman repos:
sudo pacman -Syy;
sudo pacman -Syu;

I don’t know what else I can try, I was on this problem all day without luck.
If more information about my system is needed, feel free to ask me, I’ll provide all the information needed.

Gotta admit, I make a mistake of not trying reboot after sudo pacman -S linux515-nvidia and then posted it here. Apparently, that solve the problem and I was able to boot into my manjaro system again. I still have this weird feeling that I have made something wrong, is really the package linux515-nvidia the only thing that I should install? I found it hard to believe that for some reason, but for the moment it is working like a charm again.

What are you doing with a kernel (Linux 5.13) that doesn’t exist since September last year?
Stick with LTS kernels if you do not maintain your system properly. That will avoid trying to do impossible things, like installing non existent kernel modules, of a non existent kernel in Manjaro.

Remove all non LTS kernels you have installed.

Also please use the wiki for basic stuff like installing kernel, video drivers, and so on. This is not the way to do that.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_Kernels/en

3 Likes

Thanks for the approach, you were absolutely right! I, somehow, have Kernel 5.13 installed, I have really no idea how that was on my system, I actually start using Manjaro in September 2021 so, I guess, maybe it gets installed by mistake or something, anyway, thanks for the help.

It probably was the kernel shipped with your Manjaro ISO at that time of installation, as Manjaro provides ISO with latest stable kernel (probably 5.13 at that time) and/or LTS kernel. But Manjaro users should know about the basic maintenance to do on the system, like switching kernel and/or using LTS kernel to avoid following kernels cycle of life.

Once you get on a LTS kernel like 5.15 (it is an LTS kernel even if not officially marked as LTS for now), then you can be sure its life cycle will be very long and you should not have to worry about it for long time. Non LTS kernel have a few months maximum life cycle before getting discarded/unmaintained.

Here you can see current kernels https://www.kernel.org/ and LTS kernels The Linux Kernel Archives - Releases

More tips about system maintenance System Maintenance - Manjaro
But basically here is your starting point for looking for proper info about things in Manjaro https://wiki.manjaro.org/

Thanks for the help man, really appreciate all the links and the explanation. Gonna read them all this night to get more into the Maintenance of my system.

On a side note, all kernels under version 5.4 just got dropped on the Testing branch, so expect that to happen soon on the Stable branch too, I saw you have also old kernel 4.14 installed, so make sure to get rid of all kernels under 5.4 if you still have some, to avoid getting into trouble later again, preemptively.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.