Mhwd-chroot not recognising EFI partition

I'm trying to restore a possibly damaged grub, following the instructions here https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader.

I've got as far as "You will be presented with a terminal. Wait until it shows a list with the available system partitions on your computer and choose the one you want to repair."

I'm presuming (perhaps wrongly?) the partition I want to repair is the EFI partition, which for me is sda1. The trouble is I don't get a list of partitions as promised, I only get sda2 (my main partition) and then the hash prompt. No list, no choosing mechanism.

Fdisk -l shows sda1 to be an EFI system partition of 300mb at /dev/sda1. So why does mhwd-chroot not have it as an option? Am I misreading the instruction?

Alternatively, what about manjaro-chroot? That's what i use, i have efi boot also, & it works well for me each time [including a rescue i had to do tonight ... [Testing Update] 2019-06-20 - Kernels, KDE Plasma, Browsers, Mesa, Qt5].

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Still intrigued to know why my EFI partition isn't showing up though. I have efibootmgr, is that the package you're referring to?

No, manjaro-chroot is a separate package. It should be in the repo if it's not installed already.

FYI:

Summary
$ lsblk
NAME                                          MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda                                             8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk  
├─sda1                                          8:1    0   156M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─sda2                                          8:2    0    60G  0 part  /
├─sda3                                          8:3    0   102G  0 part  
│ └─luks-7106d77d-ce05-4059-87fc-9f6de535b652 254:0    0   102G  0 crypt /home
├─sda4                                          8:4    0     2G  0 part  
└─sda5                                          8:5    0    60G  0 part  
  └─veracrypt7                                254:1    0    60G  0 dm    /media/veracrypt7
sdb                                             8:16   0   1.8T  0 disk  
├─sdb1                                          8:17   0    35G  0 part  
├─sdb2                                          8:18   0    40G  0 part  /SeagateSpare
├─sdb3                                          8:19   0   1.7T  0 part  /Seagate
└─sdb4                                          8:20   0    35G  0 part  
sr0                                            11:0    1  1024M  0 rom   
zram0                                         252:0    0   7.7G  0 disk  [SWAP]

...and...

Summary
[kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3-Tower ~]$ pacman -Qi manjaro-chroot
error: package 'manjaro-chroot' was not found
[kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3-Tower ~]$ pacman -Si manjaro-chroot
error: package 'manjaro-chroot' was not found

I'm a bit confused by that. Anyway, it's certainly? on recent ISOs, coz one of those is on the USB stick i use when booting from LiveUSB specifically to fsck, or otherwise to run manjaro-chroot -a.

1 Like

manjaro-chroot leaves much to be desired. It never worked for me mostly due to both complexity of my installs and UEFI nature of my laptop. Better go with chroot.

Just to make this simpler(?) can anyone explain what the wiki means by "... a list with the available system partitions on your computer and choose the one you want...". It would be really helpful to know what is supposed to happen here. What is the list supposed to look like, and what form is the selection supposed to take? All I get is the details of my main partition and then the hash prompt. I don't know what" choose the one you want "is supposed to mean here.

manjaro-chroot command is part of manjaro-tools-base package:

$ pacman -Ql manjaro-tools-base
manjaro-tools-base /usr/bin/manjaro-chroot
2 Likes

Just booted a live iso and ran manjaro-chroot see below

manjaro@manjaro-cinnamon ~]$ manjaro-chroot -a
==> Detected systems:
 --> 0) ManjaroLinux
==> Select system to mount [0-0] : 
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda1]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]