Planning to upgrade from Intel i5 3470 to AMD Ryzen 5600G, should I reinstall manjaro?

Right now I’m using Intel Core i5 3470 and I’m planning to upgrade my hardware to AMD Ryzen 5600G, I would only upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and RAM, everything else is still the same as my old hardware. Here are what I’m planning to buy:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV
RAM: Team Elite Plus Black DDR4 PC25600 3200Mhz Dual Channel 16GB (2x8GB)

Should I reinstall manjaro if I upgrade those parts ? I created a similar thread Upgrading from Intel to AMD, what should I change in my system? but it was in 2021, this time I included a more specific info

Nothing has changed. You would still need to double check things like UUIDs in /etc/fstab, ensure you have the proper packages, remove old configurations, rebuild initramfs and update-grub.

as @cscs already mentioned. every big upgrade as your changing of platform has its hinges. while there is no need to do a new,clean install in general it’s obvious that you’ll spend a lot of time investigating and adjusting configurations etc… . so in practice it’s a way better and time saving to do a complete new install. that’s my personal experience of the past.

1 Like

The only real gotchas

1. remove intel-ucode in favor of amd-ucode (rebuild init)
  2. switch to free driver if previous system used Nvidia

I use a setup where I can install a system and be back up with everything adding only 5 minutes to the setup time.

The concept is desribed in this topic [root tip] [How To] Move my home (content) to another partition

1 Like

Typically no. I just moved my ASUS ROG GL503VD installation to Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH7H using CloneZilla. This changes not only the CPU, but the entire platform. The system boots normally, though I then remove some Intel specific changes that I did (undervolt service, intel-ucode → amd-ucode) but apart from that it runs perfectly fine. The kernel is smart enough not to load drivers for hardwares that don’t exist anyway, so even if you switch GPU, it should be fine.