Mendeley (AUR) and LD_LIBRARY errors

Good morning,
Could anyone help me out in fixing this error when trying to run Mendeley (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mendeleydesktop-bundled):

This error was happening in my earlier manjaro install and is also present in the fresh one. I’m a bit anxious on messing with library paths to not break any other dependencies …

As a follow up I can add that running Mendeley from terminal works with errors:

mendeleydesktop 

(mendeleydesktop.x86_64:5272): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:19:36.596: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:12:80: 'gtkalpha' is not a valid color name

(mendeleydesktop.x86_64:5272): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:19:36.596: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:15:80: 'gtkalpha' is not a valid color name

That appears to be a bug in the PKGBUILD on line 78. I suspect the line should start with env:

diff --git a/PKGBUILD b/PKGBUILD
index 69ac243..80f8510 100644
--- a/PKGBUILD
+++ b/PKGBUILD
@@ -77,7 +77,7 @@ package_mendeleydesktop-bundled() {
     conflicts=('mendeleydesktop')
     cd "$pkgbase-$pkgver-linux-$CARCH"

-    sed -i 's/Exec=/&LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\/opt\/mendeleydesktop\/lib\/mendeleydesktop\/plugins\/platforms /' bin/install-mendeley-link-handler.sh
+    sed -i 's/Exec=/&env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\/opt\/mendeleydesktop\/lib\/mendeleydesktop\/plugins\/platforms /' bin/install-mendeley-link-handler.sh

install -d "$pkgdir/opt/$pkgbase"
     cp -a bin lib share "$pkgdir/opt/$pkgbase/"

Can you test that change to see if it helps? If it does please report on the package page.

I rebuilt mendeley with your changes, but nothing new happened.
When running from console a new error line appears:

mendeleydesktop 

(mendeleydesktop.x86_64:12165): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:02:33.104: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:12:80: 'gtkalpha' is not a valid color name

(mendeleydesktop.x86_64:12165): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:02:33.104: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:15:80: 'gtkalpha' is not a valid color name
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified

You’re going to make me download 150MB of application I don’t use to work out what’s wrong, aren’t you…

I’m trying not to - seriously!

In the AUR page of the package, in page #9 of the comments a user reported the same issue:
https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/mendeleydesktop/?O=80&PP=10

See the comment by user sispus and the responses he got in the same page and in pages #8 and #7 of the comments section.

Hope you can work it out.

OK, so the install-mendeley-link-handler.sh script adds a desktop file at $HOME/.local/share/applications/mendeleydesktop.desktop

If that file is present it won’t be recreated, which is why the change to the PKGBUILD file had no effect.

Can you try either editing the file to add env, or delete the file and install again.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Mendeley Desktop
GenericName=Research Paper Manager
Comment=Mendeley Desktop is software for managing and sharing research papers
Exec=env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mendeleydesktop/lib/mendeleydesktop/plugins/platforms $HOME/.local/share/mendeleydesktop %f
Icon=mendeleydesktop
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Education;Literature;Qt;
X-SuSE-translate=false
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/mendeley;application/pdf;text/x-bibtex;
X-Mendeley-Version=1

Awesome! Thank you!!

Grand. I’ve posted the issue and fix on the package page.

You may consider installing mendeley through flatpak: https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.elsevier.MendeleyDesktop