Firefox "Take Screenshot" issue

I am on Manjaro KDE, and using Firefox. I’ve been having this issue for awhile, and it seems to be getting worse. When I use the “take screenshot” (right click and go to “take screenshot”), it freezes probably 50% of the time or more. When it freezes, it doesn’t screenshot anything. It freezes for maybe 20-45 seconds.

Does anyone know what is causing the issue and how to solve it?

Thanks

Close Firefox and open it from terminal and see if there are errors popping up when you try to take a screenshot.

Yikes, quite a few errors!

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.356: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback ‘C’ locale.

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.411: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-w
ithin-bevel is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x
is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y
is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-siz
e is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-w
ithin-bevel is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style property GtkExpander:expander-size is d
eprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.663: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.663: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.663: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-siz
e is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.663: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-w

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.663: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style property GtkExpander:expander-size is d

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.700: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.700: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.700: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-siz

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.700: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-w

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.700: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style property GtkExpander:expander-size is d

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.731: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.731: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.731: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-siz

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.731: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-w

(firefox:47272): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:30:39.731: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style property GtkExpander:expander-size is d

Are these errors appearing after you try to take a screenshot? I doubt it.

From your output, I think you need to rule out your locale configuration first. Check this out:

No, I got them from launching Firefox via terminal.

EDIT: Here are the errors I got from using “Take screenshot” when it failed.

(firefox:47272): libnotify-WARNING **: 17:44:36.180: Failed to connect to proxy

(firefox:47272): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:44:36.181: gtk_widget_get_window: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

(firefox:47272): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:44:36.223: gtk_widget_get_window: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

If I need to do all of that, perhaps Manjaro KDE should update the image.

$ localectl
System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: us
X11 Layout: us
X11 Model: pc105
$ locale -a
C
en_US.utf8
POSIX

So I’m going through the locale thing that Brujo posted. I’m trying to determine what was causing the initial errors. Any ideas?

I don’t know, but I don’t think it is relevant to your initial issue.

Something you can try, but that will reset your addons, themes, and other configuration you may have made in Firefox, is to reset your profile (it should keep your bookmarks and passwords). To do so go to the menu button on top right corner, then go to Help → Troubleshoot Mode and it will restart Firefox, you could click Refresh Profile to reset/clean the profile, or you can also just simply click Open to start a clean Firefox momentarily.

See if Firefox behaves normally then.

On a side note when I start Firefox from the terminal, I do not have this locale error message, and I don’t have the GTK theme issues either. So even if I don’t think it is relevant to your issue, it might. So maybe try to properly configure the language/regional settings in your desktop environment (It’s all in System Settings for KDE in Manjaro → Locale), and maybe try another GTK theme (in Appearance → Application Style → Configure GTK theme).

I think your locale settings look good. The problem should be something else like.

Please share the output of:
sudo inxi -G
pacman -Qi firefox

I just saw you edited your message which comes before the two other replies you did, after I replied (don’t edit without notifying in that case because it is just by re-reading the whole thread again that I noticed it). This may be relevant to your issue:

I don’t know if it is, but if you have errors in Firefox from terminal when it is having issues this may be related, I don’t have these errors when I take a screenshot from Firefox (and I have a notification popup when I click the Copy button for the screenshot).

$ sudo inxi -G
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = “”,
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_ADDRESS = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_NAME = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_MONETARY = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_PAPER = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_IDENTIFICATION = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_TELEPHONE = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_MEASUREMENT = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LC_TIME = “nv_US.UTF-8”,
LC_NUMERIC = “en_US.UTF-8”,
LANG = “en_US.UTF-8”
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale (“en_US.UTF-8”).
Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Chicony TOSHIBA Web Camera - HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.1
$ pacman -Qi firefox
Name : firefox
Version : 92.0-1
Description : Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
Architecture : x86_64
URL : Firefox - Protect your life online with privacy-first products — Mozilla
Licenses : MPL GPL LGPL
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : gtk3 libxt mime-types dbus-glib ffmpeg nss ttf-font libpulse
Optional Deps : networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks [installed]
libnotify: Notification integration [installed]
pulseaudio: Audio support [installed]
speech-dispatcher: Text-to-Speech
hunspell-en_US: Spell checking, American English
xdg-desktop-portal: Screensharing with Wayland [installed]
Required By : None
Optional For : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 222.90 MiB
Packager : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) heftig@archlinux.org
Build Date : Tue Sep 7 20:02:01 2021
Install Date : Fri Sep 17 10:09:49 2021
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Validated By : Signature

Another program having issues with your locale. In KDE Settings, try to add another language as default, Apply, and then re-set your preferred language as default and Apply again to see if that fixes it (maybe reboot too if not, to be sure).

I edited the locale file and rebooted.

OK. Not what I was talking about but OK. Anyway that is not the issue in the thread, it was just a quick suggestion to get that sorted because every program you ran from terminal so far is adding warnings/errors about that and that bothers me.

My settings have it set as en_US, so I really don’t get why it is even an issue.

Changed it to Australian, and still have locale issues. Seriously, even the walkthrough posted on how to fix the locale issues doesn’t actually fix it. Any other ideas?

Now I’m getting this error. What a joke.

$ locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
POSIX
en_AU.utf8
en_US.utf8

I don’t really know if everything is properly configured and it produces these locale error in various programs I’m out of ideas (maybe open another thread to keep things clear here).

By the way, never replied to that Firefox "Take Screenshot" issue - #9 by omano

I configured it when I installed Manjaro. If it didn’t work, Manjaro should take care of it. That’s their issue.

Please tell me how this isn’t properly set.