Megasync stopped working

I am using the package megasync-bin from the AUR. The app was last working on 12th September 2021, but has stopped working for some unknown reason. Running megasync in the shell does not provide a particularly informative output, but zsh does tell me that it segfaults after 4–5 seconds. The MEGA icon appears in the GNOME panel for a few seconds, and starts the sync animation before it crashes.

Avoiding wayland
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
Error unsetting QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME vble

Does anyone have this package working on an up-to-date install? Any tips for why it might be crashing?

Hi @alexbujorianu,

I don’t have it or use it, so might be wrong. In fact it is likely.

So, while I don’t know if this’ll work, have you tries rebuilding it?

I have megasync-bin installed from the aur (4.5.3-1). Running cinnamon desktop and it’s working fine. From what I remember I switched to the bin file as the other megasync in the aur kept breaking due to a dependency keep being out of date. There’s a few thread’s/posts about it if you have a search

Edit

I’m on the testing branch if that helps

Running cinnamon desktop and it’s working fine.

Funny you should mention that. I just installed Cinnamon because I wanted a good X11 desktop (Wayland breaks a lot of apps in subtle and not-so-subtle ways). Lo and behold Megasync works on Cinnamon but not on Gnome.

So it is either:

• Wayland-related
  • Or a gnome shell extension is breaking it.

Can another Gnome user chime in? Can anyone replicate this on the stock gnome-wayland session? Edited to add: I was using the environment variable QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to make Qt apps scale on Gnome Wayland.

1 Like