Latest Manjaro Xfce ISO does not boot

Hi,

I have an old computer with GA-P35C-DS3R (rev. 1.x) motherboard, Intel Core Quad, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD and Nvidia GeForce 240. As far as I know, this motherboard does not support UEFI, but I just searched through manual, I am not a hardware geek. I built it for my daughter for online lessons.

Xubuntu 20.04 worked quite good on this hardware but now is a huge problem with Nvidia driver (it works only in 1280x1024 mode but the monitor is quite old Dell 1650x1050 so the desktop is heavily distorted) and the Noveau driver shows a lot of artifacts on screen, so it is useless. I tried a lot of solutions found on the web, in short - they did not worked at all, so I decided to reinstall system.

I use Manjaro on my home computer and compared to Ubuntu, it is even simpler for average user (for example as far as I remember, I never needed to use terminal in Manjaro) so I wanted to install it on this machine.

Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible for me.

I tried several times, either with my trusted Zalman VE300 external enclosure for HDD (which treats ISO files as virtual CD/DVD images) or burned Manjaro ISO to DVD-RW (I still have a lot of them). Each time the computer showed exactly the same info (below) and Manjaro installer doesn’t even start.

So, during computer boot BIOS shows a lot of text lines as usual and at the end:

Verifying DMI pool data…

(this is normal - my comment)

And then:

Boot from CD/DVD: error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode…
grub rescue>_

Why Manjaro installer does not start? Is something wrong with Manjaro ISO? I tried the newest regular and minimal Xfce ISOs and the result is the same. Xubuntu installer runs from virtual ISO on Zalman or from burned DVD without problems. All BIOS setttings are default, HDD SATA mode is set to AHCI.

I would appreciate any help.

Do you not have a USB stick? It would be a lot easier.

I don’t have, unfortunately. But for me always the easiest way is just copy the ISO file to HDD in Zalman enclosure - see /EN/Product/ProductDetail.do?productSeq=914 on zalman com (I can’t copy link to this enclosure here).