Matray (Manjaro News) should be in the "System" menu category

matray currently resides under “Lost & Found” in the launcher menu. This is because it has no true “category”.

[Desktop Entry]
Terminal=false
Name=matray
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/matray
Icon=matray
Comment=A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app

I propse matray should be added to the System category, like so:

[Desktop Entry]
Terminal=false
Name=matray
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/matray
Icon=matray
Categories=System;
Comment=A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app

1. It’s the only application under this “category” (Lost & Found) in a fresh KDE installation, which leads to…
  2. …an extra “category” item that takes up space in the launcer.
  3. To fix it would also add a nice polish and better discoverability for those who are new to this feature in Manjaro.

3 Likes

You could always create a pull request upstream. :wink: The desktop file is here.

4 Likes

@moson

:point_up_2:

I think it’s more appropriate to place matray under Internet because it grabs data from an online server, obviously, and it’s not an app that manages your system.

1 Like

Was following the same standard as “Manjaro Hello”, which is also under the System category. It also reflects managing your system, since the news and announcements align with system updates.

What’s great about Linux desktop standards is that a menu item can live under more than one category. :wink:

You’re right, I forgot about that rule. The thing is Manjaro Hello has some tools that change settings in your session such as applying customization presets. matray doesn’t do anything like that, but I guess it can be placed under both Internet and System since it has to do mainly with Manjaro update announcements.

1 Like

Good point, agreed. Either way, “Lost & Found” looks out of place and strange, especially for an official software application.

It was the first time I had seen that category in a while, and at first I through it was due to a previously deleted menu entry. Akin to the lost+found folder of an ext4 filesytem. :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t have an accessible Github account as of yet (I don’t think?), but it’s something I considered. However, it would be once in a blue moon that I might use it.

The main concern is I feel discussion is better than going forwards with a change. This very thread is an example of that, as @acarasimon96 suggests a different category.

EDIT: And by the way, something like “matray” is actually an idea I was going to suggest as a feature for Manjaro when I first started using the distro. I love it! Thanks for the useful edition to this great distro, @moson! :+1:

“Utility” ? It doesn’t really fit into any of main categories imho. A. Registered Categories

1 Like

When I sit down as a user, I keep an eye out for new updates as a means to maintain and update my system. (Pamac is in the System category.)

Since the news and announcements (from matray) that notify a user are usually paired with ISO releases, system updates, and security annoucements, it would feel right to consider it in the System category, the same as with Pamac.

The primary use-case is system maintenance and upkeep.

For comparison, Info Center, Pamac, and Hello are all in the System category. It’s true that matray uses an internet connection to refresh the latest news and announcements, but now that I think about it, it’s more of a “means to an end”, the “end” being system upkeep and maintenance as the ongoing purpose.

EDIT: Interestingly in KDE, Konsole (terminal) is placed under the System category, instead of Utilities. :yum:

discover in list

News	A news reader or a news ticker	Network

but not fan

Not if you enable the twitter option :crazy_face::joy:

Whatever. I’ll add “System” then.

I wouldn’t call it “official.” It was just some app I made for fun. Apparently it was added to the ISO at some point. I wasn’t even aware of that, nor am I a Manjaro team member.

What… have… I… done…? :astonished:

This calls for an emergency session. All other Manjaro development must come to a complete halt until this is figured out! Is January 2022 enough time, or do you predict it might take longer to reach a consensus? :laughing:

1 Like

:clap:

(that’s better than “Lost and found”) :grin:

You’re a valuable contributor now.

:joy:

2 Likes

Changed my mind. I’ll put Categories=Network;News;TrayIcon;
That makes most sense I guess.

In case someone does not like it, go edit :wink:
/usr/share/applications/org.moson.matray.desktop

2 Likes

By the way, with XFCE, it’s located in the category “Other”. In my opinion, it’s better than “Lost and found” :grin:

1 Like