Old graphic tablet doesn't work

Hi, I have old graphic tablet called aiptek. I have a problem. It works on MX linux distro wihout installing any software but on other distro i can’t use it. Many distros uses it as wacom tablet but it has its own drivers in section lib/modules/kernel/drivers/input there is aiptek.ko file in MX linux and in manjaro there aiptek.ko.xz. What should I do? Maybye wacom drivers are conected with this input hardware and I have to change it or I don’t know if it is ok that aiptek driver in manjaro is in archieve type file. I am not very advanced user.

Hi @rymarz, and welcome!

While I don’t use or have something like that, a quick bit of Googling led me to this page. It states:

The project called DIGImend (digitizer mending) was started by Nick (Nikolai) Kondrashov around 2008 to improve the sorry state of affairs with drivers for, er, more affordable graphic tablets such as the ones by Genius, Aiptek etc.

And it’s available in the AUR:

$ pamac search digimend
digimend-kernel-drivers-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                          8.r37.gea507e2-2  AUR
Linux kernel modules (DKMS) for non-Wacom USB graphics tablets. Git version.
digimend-drivers-git-dkms                                                                                                                                                                                 10.r0.gec5c16d-1  AUR
Linux kernel modules (DKMS) for non-Wacom USB graphics tablets. Git version.

So, you could try installing that and it should, theoretically, work:

$ pamac build digimend-drivers-git-dkms

Hope this helps!

[quote=“Mirdarthos, post:2, topic:62699”]
pamac search digimend
I have installed it but still doesn’t work. The system still works as if it is wacom tablet.

Well, are there any Wacom drivers on the PC? If there are, try uninstalling them, maybe?

Edit:

Just noticed, at first glance, those seem to be different type of drivers. However, reading their names again, it would seem thee one is a user space driver and the other one a kernel space driver. (I don’t even know if those are the correct concepts.)

So, I’d recommend installing the kernel space driver.

$ pamac build digimend-kernel-drivers-dkms-git

Followed by making sure everything’s connected and performing a reboot.