Manual Manjaro ARM installation possible?

Is there a way to manually install Manjaro Arm64 on to a Raspberry PI 4B? I would like to partition drives, use other filesystems, etc.

I have bootable USB SSD drives, spare SD cards, USB SD reader/writers, multiple RPi4s and another computer with Windows and various Linux VMs, all at my disposal to try and accomplish this.

Yes as long as the 1st partition is boot @150M fat32 vfat. Copy over the files of an existing good boot partition to it.

Would be nice to have your manjaro-arm root ext4 partition next. It tells the pi which root partition to boot by specifying the partition LABEL in /boot/cmdline.txt. Make a backup image from an existing good root partition. I show one way here:

migration-from-sd-card-to-bootable-usb

Then you can add other partitions with other file systems to your drive.

I have done similar in the past to my usb drive so I could boot into the various stable, testing and unstable branches.

I was successful with migrating an image from SD to USB, even so far as migrating it to btrfs rather than ext4. But is there a way to perform an initial installation, as is done for x86_64?

I would love to try to get grub2 working to select an OS at boot, or to roll back to a particular btrfs snapshot, and to explore other odd interests such as clustering. I am a Linux guy more than a SBC enthusiast, and I like tweeking with the OS. Yes, this can be done post migration but switching file systems, converting to raid, etc. post install, is a pain.

And I plan to join the ARM testing team, once I am a bit more up to speed.

We provide pre-configured images like other arm based distros; unlike with the x64 where you can choose your options like btrfs.

Images are bound to be somewhat problematic with so many SBC boards to support. I was reading this paper and it sounds like interesting stuff to explore. They seem to have it working from what I saw, while taking a quick peek at their image for the RPi4, it is just rather slow to boot.

True. But it’s just needed.
The reason is that each board requires its own method of booting.
While on x86, the motherboard vendor flashes a BIOS to the motherboard, the same is not the case for ARM boards. They come with a really basic bootrom, that looks for a bootloader at specific offsets on specific devices. So the distros (like Manjaro ARM) have to provide a bootloader for each board, which is usually a specific u-boot for that board.
Because of this, we can’t make a “live image” that will fit all boards.

So someone from the team would have to spin up a version to get it working on the Librem 5 then?

We don’t support the Librem 5. And has no plan to do so, before one of our devs get one.

I believe the manjaro-arm-installer is exactly what I was looking to find.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.