Manual boot Time Encryption Too Long

My OS currently is KDE Arcolinux , and I have manually encrypted my hard drive, and it only takes about 7 seconds to get into the login screen after I enter the password.
I also have tested Bluestar linux, and it also takes about the same time to boot into the login screen, and they both are based on Arch!

I have been trying to install Manjaro with encryption for many months now. I try it every time Manjaro comes out with a new ISO, but get disappointed every time!

It takes 40-50 seconds just to get into the login screen if you encrypt the hard drive manually or encrypt it through the system. In other words it's not feasible to install Manjaro if you need to encrypt the hard drive. I have noticed other people have raised this issue as well in the past. Is this problem ever going to get fixed any time soon?

Do you get the password screen before or after grub in arcolinux? Because you can setup manjaro to decrypt the system in 7 seconds instead of 50. Password prompt before grub=long boot. Password prompt after grub=short boot time.

I set the boot with no encryption. Then the root with encryption. Similar to this.

I've done the same thing with Manjaro, but it takes for ever to boot into the login screen.

With this setup, the decryption should not take that long. If you have GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y in your /etc/ default/grub, comment it out and update-grub.

I switched it to comment GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y, and updated the grub, but that didn't fix the long delay. I'm not quit sure what you mean by comment it out.
Do you mean delete that line all together, and then sudo update-grub?
I've tried several different things, like deleting, ignoring the line, but none has worked so far. Could you give me specific instruction as how to do this?

Thanks,

Deleting it should also work. You can also prepend the line with # or replace the y in the end with n.

The issue seems quite odd. Can you post the output of lsblk and the contents of /etc/default/grub?

1 Like

I tried both and replaced with the "y" with "n". Didn't make any difference. Then I deleted the entire line, and still no difference.
When I turn on the computer I get the "Attempting to dycrypt master key (40 seconds). Then you get to the second screen that says "Password is required to access the luks xxxxx volume. Then you finally get to the login screen 8 seconds later that where you an enter your user name and password. The boot is not encrypted at all. I don't understand why it's doing this only on Manjaro, and not on Arcolinux, or Bluestar linux.
Output of lsblk:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 223.6G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 700M 0 part /boot
└─sda2 8:2 0 222.9G 0 part
└─luks-80f75ac1-3494-4596-98dd-788308b87d08
254:0 0 222.9G 0 crypt /
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

Contents of the /etc/grub.
Please keep in mind that I deleted line 15 and 16 where had the grub-enable_crypodisk=y.

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Manjaro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet cryptdevice=UUID=80f75ac1-3494-4596-98dd-788308b87d08:luks-80f75ac1-3494-4596-98dd-788308b87d08 root=/dev/mapper/luks-80f75ac1-3494-4596-98dd-788308b87d08 resume=/dev/mapper/luks-80f75ac1-3494-4596-98dd-788308b87d08 apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

If you want to enable the save default function, uncomment the following

line, and set GRUB_DEFAULT to saved.

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"

Uncomment to use basic console

GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console

Uncomment to disable graphical terminal

#GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

The resolution used on graphical terminal

note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE

you can see them in real GRUB with the command 'videoinfo'

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

Uncomment to allow the kernel use the same resolution used by grub

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Uncomment if you want GRUB to pass to the Linux kernel the old parameter

format "root=/dev/xxx" instead of "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx"

#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

Uncomment and set to the desired menu colors. Used by normal and wallpaper

modes only. Entries specified as foreground/background.

GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="green/black"

Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme

#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/usr/share/grub/background.png"
GRUB_THEME="/usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt"

Uncomment to get a beep at GRUB start

#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

Is this before grub? It sounds very much like what GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y does. I see you still have it in the bottom of your config. Remove it and turn sudo update-grub . That line is only needed with encrypted /boot

1 Like

Please edit your post and quote terminal output properly by using </> button or insert the ``` above and below directly.

1 Like

@Chrysostomus,

That worked! Thanks a lot for taking the time and walk me through this step by step. I really appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

@freggel.doe

Could you tell me how to post the terminal the way you were saying? I can't figure it out!

Thanks,

Like this:

Click to view screenshot

1 Like

I just did that, and it copied the whole thing in as a text!
Look:

System:
  Host: Man-500 Kernel: 4.19.107-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 9.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B85M-DS3H-A v: x.x serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: F2 date: 08/10/2015 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 63857 
  Speed: 1198 MHz min/max: 800/4400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1199 
  3: 1197 4: 1197 5: 1200 6: 1199 7: 1199 8: 1197 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: radeon FAILED: ati 
  unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.107-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.1) 
  v: 3.3 Mesa 19.3.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.107-1-MANJARO 

1 Like

That's exactly what was being requested. It's much easier to read this way. :+1:

I see!

Thanks,

2 Likes

I made the same experience and my system is not encrypted.
Arcolinux boots ultra fast (about 7-10sec) and Manjaro takes about 30 seconds until the login screen appears.
Strange but true

Forum kindly sponsored by