Manjaro32 got removed from our Mirrors

Based on our earlier discussions we removed now Manjaro32 repos from our infrastructure. This means that the current mirrors won't work anymore. It will take most likely the whole weekend until all mirrors had synced.

What does it mean for Manjaro32 users?

• currently we are working on a separate infrastructure with one mirror
  • if we find a team we might continue our work with that project
  • otherwise we will review it for max. a month and might drop it completely

We will update this thread with news around Manjaro32. Feedback is welcome.

10 Likes

From 2003 I am using 64 Bit operating systems (Windows and Linux).
So it is 17 years ago, I am not using a 32 bit OS.

2 Likes

yeah it is time to move

1 Like

I was using 32-bit until September last year when the computer (Toshiba A30 laptop from 2003) in question became surplus to requirements.

1 Like

Me too, Windows XP 64-bit Edition technology preview. It was a bit of a dog really, half Windows XP and half Windows Server. On the linux side I had ubuntu installed on my first generation K8 AMD Athlon 64 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Saw it coming after jonathon left. But announcing the drop and simultanously removing the repos from the manjaro servers is a bit harsh movement leaving those 32bit manjaro users alone. At least it would be nice to post a kind of recipy from an insider for them to migrate their manjaro32 installation to archlinux32 without reinstallation.

Or is it just hmm.... you're on your own by now?

1 Like

There's been several topics about the status of manjaro32, this is not a sudden announcement and I don't see how it can come as a shock.

https://forum.manjaro.org/tags/manjaro32

2 Likes

As I said, I saw it coming. But a can't see the many topics about the status of manjaro32 in the mentioned forum, just TWO "Manjaro32 hibernating" and "Goodbye, ..." . And with the last one there is the announcement of dropping support NOW and in a timespan of ONE weekend removing the repos from the infrastructure. I didn't talk about shock. I talked about a harsh movement leaving the users at their own

1 Like

Is this project/initiative going to work?
It has been active since November 2017, so in the short term, yes. As for the long term... ?

Well since it was maintained by Jonathon alone, please cut him some slack here and leave it be. He carried on supporting 32-bit machines for a while out of kindness and not neccessity.

5 Likes

That's not the issue. I am fully aware of the slow extinction of 32bit machines. It is ok when you drop 32bit support again. You bundle your powers.

But you announce it and remove it from the repos at the very same time.

I acknowledged Jonathon's work in almost every post of mine and I am fully aware of the lack of neccessity of maintainining any distro.

Besides, Manjaro is a great distro and it is evolving very nicely (Pinebook)

1 Like

It's easy to be critical of others I guess. It's not harsh, their systems won't suddenly stop working due to a lack of new packages on remote servers. They can still transition to any other distribution that supports 32-bit hardware at their leisure.

As for instructions, feel free to contribute some. I'm sure if someone needs help they can ask on archlinux32 forums though :slight_smile:

Maybe you guys shsh a little and wait which announcements will come. What did my first point say? We are working on a separate infrastructure...

1 Like

I am not writing to get answers I already know :wink:
(I continue living even if the fridge is empty and I know the way to the next store)

1 Like

Gave you a weeks heads up: Dropping 32-bit support - Again ?!?

And first sign that it was not being maintained anymore was way back in November. Manjaro32 hibernating

1 Like

Don't worry, I was not going to carry on anyway. You've just given me more reason to not bother giving a crap about FUD typed about manjaro by other people than ever before.

Yeah and you also said IF you can find a team to carry on. No wonder people are jumpy when you post speculative stuff like that. Don't get shirty when people reply in a similar vein.

< sarcasm> Maybe you should work in the diplomatic corp < /sarcasm>

Ungrateful %^&*()

1 Like

As I already said Manjaro is a great distro. I had been a happy user of the 32bit branch and just a bit disappointed not being able to go on this way, that's all

1 Like

Thank you very much for that!

4 Likes

I want to help. I have no experience, but I know the basics and I'm a fast learner. I'm with a bit more free time now, it's about time to get more involved. Count me in.

4 Likes

I am a everyday user of my 32 bit laptop. It works already from 2006 and nevertheless, it is in pretty good shape - battery works at least 4 hours and SSD gives a good performance boost. I am doing with it all my office works and web surfing. Also I love its 4:3 screen which allows me better to read documents and books, specially in book-view mode. Just watched with it two movies on Youtube.

I think, this is how most of people uses their computers anyway. Its not a worth to throw off my 32-bit one and buy 64-bit one and use it same way without any radical differences. Unneccessary hassle. When telling abut software development, the older computers fits better for software testing and optimizing purposes.

So anyway I will continue to use my current 32-bit oldie. When talking now about Manjaro32, then I agree to dispose it. Nowadays 32-bit computers are so rare, that I think it is better to have only few, but good 32-bit distros, rather that waste resources to many different of them. We already have Archlinux32, so i dont see any reasons to maintain Manjaro32 in parallel. Of course, if someone will pick up and continue maintaining it, I gladly would keep using Manjaro32.

5 Likes

I still have a 32 bit laptop that I use on a regular basis and I am very grateful to @jonathon for maintaining Manjaro32 for so long.

I also have a working copy of Archlinux32 (Pentium 4) installed in a separate partition on it and it was not as hard to install as I thought it would be. I found reading [HowTo] Install Manjaro using CLI only alongside the Arch install instructions was helpful.

I do prefer Manjaro32 and if a "separate infrastructure" is created I will use it.

5 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by