Manjaro XFCE v18.0 3rd Beta-Build [testing]

testing
18-0-beta

We are still deciding on which kernel we will go for. linux416 series is now marked EOL. Since we had some issues with linux417 series in VirtualBox, we may have to see if the current point-releases have resolved that.

Going to All Settings > Window Manager > Keyboard and pressing Reset to Defaults removes some of the keybindings permanenlty, like the Move window to X Workspace ones.

That’s because some of the keybindings like:

<property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Down" type="string" value="move_window_down_workspace_key"/>

Are defined in the custom group instead of the default group in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml.

Ideally all of the keybindings should reside in the default group initially.

Until this VirtualBox bug is closed, you won’t be able to have a working Manjaro guest or any linux guest distribution using Linux 4.17.x kernel.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17827

Can you post us the modified config file, so we may correct it?

Actually I can open a MR to fix this. I noticed it a while ago but did not have the time to do it yet. Expect it during the weekend.

Waiting for the kernel418 to out would take too long? Because Manjaro18 Kernel4"18"…

I tested it on two computers. Incorrect time zone for Turkey. Looks forward 3 hours. Adjusted when you set your time zone to GTM0.

timedatectl status
Local time: Cts 2018-06-30 01:03:51 +03
Universal time: Cum 2018-06-29 22:03:51 UTC
RTC time: Cum 2018-06-29 22:03:52
Time zone: Europe/Istanbul (+03, +0300)
System clock synchronized: no
NTP service: inactive
RTC in local TZ: no

This will be in a few hours from now.
UTC at the moment is: 19:15:00

Booting from live USB
Using laptop with lid closed
plugged into HDMI monitor 1440p
it defaults to overlapping screen layout
quite a weird effect
(easily fixable via display settings of course, but would be nice if it didn’t use the closed monitor)

Also, same with current stable release,
the pc speaker isn’t blacklisted
so pressing the logout button, or pressing backspace when there’s nothing to erase causes the pc speaker to make an unpleasant beep
in stable version can be fixed with a conf file in:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-pcspkr.conf

# this is how you mute annoying beeps
blacklist pcspkr

Could we get Redshift installed by default?

The 4.18 series if it released in time? I’m surprised that 4.16 is EOL already but then again I don’t normally keep track of what the kernel developers do.

I having this issue with Nvidia driver too, can you help me?

Maybe? If you’re having an issue unrelated to this beta build, you should create a separate thread.

xfce panel -> network manager applet -> VPN Connections > Add a VPN Connection…
dropdown -> Import a saved VPN configuration…
Click Create
window dissapears

Looks like my intuition was wrong, the keybindings need to be defined in both default and custom groups…

Anyway, since I can not fork the repo, I’ll just post the patch here:

PATCH
From 8aa0807710e1e4bdd186cb1f9b8f190ce18a9bed Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
 <codrut.gusoi@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 23:05:58 +0300
Subject: [PATCH] Make workspace move keys persist on reset
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Signed-off-by: Codruț Constantin Gușoi <codrut.gusoi@gmail.com>
---
 .../xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml | 6 +++++-
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml b/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
index e4d6c22..04dfe13 100644
--- a/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
+++ b/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
@@ -99,6 +99,10 @@
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;F10" type="empty"/>
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;F11" type="empty"/>
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;F12" type="empty"/>
+      <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Up" type="string" value="move_window_up_workspace_key"/>
+      <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Down" type="string" value="move_window_down_workspace_key"/>
+      <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Left" type="string" value="move_window_left_workspace_key"/>
+      <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Right" type="string" value="move_window_right_workspace_key"/>
     </property>
     <property name="custom" type="empty">
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;F8" type="string" value="workspace_8_key"/>
@@ -153,11 +157,11 @@
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;d" type="string" value="show_desktop_key"/>
       <property name="&lt;Control&gt;F3" type="string" value="workspace_3_key"/>
       <property name="&lt;Alt&gt;Insert" type="string" value="add_workspace_key"/>
-      <property name="override" type="bool" value="true"/>
       <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Up" type="string" value="move_window_up_workspace_key"/>
       <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Down" type="string" value="move_window_down_workspace_key"/>
       <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Left" type="string" value="move_window_left_workspace_key"/>
       <property name="&lt;Shift&gt;&lt;Control&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;Right" type="string" value="move_window_right_workspace_key"/>
+      <property name="override" type="bool" value="true"/>
     </property>
   </property>
   <property name="providers" type="array">
-- 

Thx. I’ve added it to master. @oberon: what is the currently used manjaro-xfce-settings branch?

manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings uses master, manjaro-xfce-settings points to v17.1 branch.

Only noticed today that while i have beta 18.0 beta3 installed of xfce the grub menu , as well as manjaro Hello, shows that i am using 17.1.11. That’s weird.

@Ste74

What changed in this iso that make the grub menu now visible to some users that were unable to see the grub menu in earlier versions?

Thanks.

I think is a combo trick… New kernel 4.16 and the gfx set to ‘auto’… @oberon this is the new grub theme development pkg right ?

From the changelog of Virtualbox 5.2.14:

Linux guests: made vboxvideo driver build with kernel 4.17 (bug #17801) and with pre-3.14 and EL 7.1 kernels (bug #17771)